92 lumina wont start - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2009, 06:55 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

92 lumina wont start

I have a 92 chevrolet Euro 3.4 DOHV. My friend who owns the car says the timing belt sliped. we got a motor from the junk yard that we heard run. After i put it in the car i cant get it to start. with starting fluid it doesnt usually fire but i have had it randomly fire on like one cylinder, a couple times. With a spark plug on a plug wire i cannot see any spark, and a voltmeter shows no reading on the injector plugs.Ive changed the crankshaft positioning sensor and the ignition module and have had the coil pack tested. Ive also checked all fuses and i am getting gas from fuel pump. Also both the speedometer and the rpm gauge are topped out to the right(weird).any ideas or segestions would be very helpful and appreciated.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2009, 09:06 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

check fuel pressure, if its good, check for spark. If its weak (or more likely non-existent) its something you forgot to hook up most likely. Did you hook up the crank sensor? Are you sure the old motor was bad and it wasn't just a no-spark situation?

K
Old 10-22-2009, 04:15 PM

Last photo:

It was my buddys car he just asked me to change the motor so i did. I wonder the same thing about the previous motor having spark. It was a careless mistake to change the motor w/o testing for these things first but my job was to just change the engine. Yes i hookes up the cps and even tried to change it w/ the one from the other engine. the engine i put in was a little newer and had another cps on the harmonic balencer in which case i couldnt plug in. but everything from the car pluged in. Stumped.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:20 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

There are a couple fuses for the ECM, one could be blown. You need a wiring diagram and a meter. Dont be fooled by it running on starting fluid. I have seen engines with no spark run on starting fluid.
That is not a complicated system. If I had to guess I would look at all the engine grounds and power feeds for the electronic equipment.
If you use a methodical approach you will find it.

Chet
Old 10-23-2009, 09:26 PM

Last photo:

Wow, i never thought that a motor could fire w/o spark w/ starting fluid but i believe it could be what im experiancing.That is a very helpful tip. I think it is some type of connection trouble also, because as you said the system here is fairly simple, which is why im stumped.lol, but all the fuses are good, the ses light illuminates properly, the code reader did not find any trouble, and the fuel pump is kicking on, so doesnt that mean the computer is getting power? Thanks for all the help.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.