92 silverado 2500 4x4 + L98 + twin turbos - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2011, 11:45 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

92 silverado 2500 4x4 + L98 + twin turbos

well the camaro is done other then some odds and ends that i will take care of in the spring time so its onto my next project

daily driver 92 silverado 2500 4x4 the original 4.3 v6 has been swaped for a L98 motor tpi and all with around 25K miles on it.

the goal is here is not to build as much power as possible im going for lots of tq and great fuel milage
this motor very raley sees over 4k rpms i think ive only taken it that high once in first gear pulling out onto the highway

the plan is going to be twin t3 50 trim turbos in a mid mount configuration
large fmic and methinjection so i can run mid grade gas except for towing which i expect this thing to be in boost 60% of the time ill run the good stuff

im going to have to play with turbine sizing but im going to start with .48 housings this should give off idle boost and loads of tq and choke the motor above 4,500

relistically id be happy with 250 rwhp and 400-450+ ftlbs out of this thing

the only thing i dont know is what transmission is in the truck i have to take a closer look at it the gear lever is marked L-1-2-3-(od)- r
im assuming its a t5 with a granny gear does anyone know for sure ???

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2011, 12:29 AM

Last journal entry: update
Last photo:

T5?!!?! Not likely. Probably an NV4500, you hope, which is iron-case.
Old 12-27-2011, 12:38 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyholdback
T5?!!?! Not likely. Probably an NV4500, you hope, which is iron-case.
yeah was dfoing some research and another member of another forum told me it was an nv4500 odd thing is they came out in 93 and my silverado is a 92.
the door sticker is missing so i cant see the production date but im going to assume this thing is going to be a late late 92 model year truck
Old 12-27-2011, 06:54 AM

Last photo:

it should be a nv3500 if stock
Old 12-28-2011, 09:22 PM

Last photo:

a few months back our old niebors/friends got a really good job and we used to lend them the car all the time so he could get to work.once we got the truck all fixed up we decided to let them use the truck under a few conditions

#1 they pay for insurance on the truck
#2 they take care of the general maitnience i.e tires oil changes tuneup etc etc
#3 anything they break they fix
#4 anytime we need the truck to haul something we take the truck and leave them the car

a month ago we needed to pick up furnature from cedar city but they didnt want to give us back the truck and started making exscuses then finally said well meet u guys up there and pick the stuff up for u

now at the time i found this to be a lil wierd as to why they would drive the 55 miles each way to do this but they did it so i didnt think anyrthing more of it

then a 2 weeks before xmas we told them we would need the truck on xmas since we had some rather large gifts to take to cedar and also bring some back.then they started to make exscuses again why they couldnt give us the truck and take the car.

we flat out told them they didnt have a choice so they droped it

day before xmas we go pick up the truck we goto there house drop off the car and they tell us btw the steering colum broke"the tilt" but were getting that fixed

so now im thinking this whole time the colum was broke and they didnt tell us and they didnt plan on telling us.

so i get the truck home and look it over they never did the tuneup just an oil change even though we told them when we gave them the truck a few months back it had to have at minimum plugs,cap and rotor done.

no big deal its only a few bucks for the parts so ill let that slide.

fast foward to today

im gomming back from the gas station on the far end of town when i see the truck go past missing the passengerside headlight and grill with the bumper all twisted.
so i run back home grab my gf and go back the way they were going, i figure they were either going to the gas station the highway or the only repair shop on that side of town.

i see the truck witht he hood up infront of a service bay at the garage so i pull in behind the truck and they both finally see me there and i see his wife look down and mutter the "f" word.

i knew right then and there they had no intentions of ever telling us they hit a deer with the truck.
so i get out of the car take a look at the damage on the truck

grill,bumper,headlight assembly, passenger fender ac condensor, and possible radiator support

at this point i walk up and say once this is fixed were taking the truck back and they got an attitude with us, at this point i want to punch him in the face but i didnt and just got back in the car and drove away.

now at this point im really mad specially since they had to drive directly past our house to goto the garage and they couldnt stop to tell us what happened. which btw they claimed happened this afternoon and i saw the truck at around 2pm.claimed they hit a deer which they did.

now my gf was talking to them on the phone the night before and they were stupid drunk, i have a feeling they took the truck out while drunk and hit the deer which pisses me off even more.

and the reason i think so is beacuse all the bloood and fur on the truck was dry as can be u could tell it didnt just happen

anyways one of the guys from napa was up at the shop when they brought the truck to delivering parts and had seen me show up and get pissed and leave,so when i walked into napa to get some odds and ends for the iroc he asked me about it and i tld him it was our truck, then he tells me whell they only ordered a new headlight/grill and fender for the truck

thats not going to fly with me they need to fix it the right way and give the truck back in the same condition it was loaned to them

so now im stuck on what to do to i tell them it needs to goto a different shop to be fixed, take it to court etc

and the biggest thing that pisses me off is they tried to hide the damage as well

ill say one thing i will never lend a viechal to anyone ever again

tommorow i am going to get pics of the damage before they do any repairs so i have some proof of the damage done incase i need to take it to court
Old 12-29-2011, 04:15 PM

Last photo:

add core suppor5t and fan shroud to the list along with a bunch of light pigtails

they are paying for the repairs so all in all not to bad,but they did tell us they lied about when it happened and they did do it while they were drunk.but im sure as hell not giving them the truck back once its fixed
Old 12-29-2011, 04:19 PM
www.generationhighoutput. com

Last wiki edit: Painting chrome wheels
Last journal entry: Stopping my journal entries here
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 15

Smart move. I have a hard time letting anyone borrow my pick-up, even some immediate family If they need one that badly, they can rent one from uhaul.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:48 PM

Last photo:

On a 350, I would use two T3's with 0.63 a/r turbine and a 60 trim.

this is the size on a 280zxt (81-83) and 1st gen 300zxt (84 -89). This turbo makes full boost by 2800 rpms on a 168 cid engine. So 2 should be the same on a 350.

If you use 0.48 a/r it will be boosting all the time which is not a good thing.

if you have a 210hp/300ftlbs engine and add 7.7 psi of boost, then the engine should make 315hp/450ftlbs. 10 psi will make 350hp/505ftlbs.

will need a boost ignition timing retard system and a way to add more fuel on boost (8:1 fmu).
Old 12-29-2011, 11:15 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454C10
On a 350, I would use two T3's with 0.63 a/r turbine and a 60 trim.

this is the size on a 280zxt (81-83) and 1st gen 300zxt (84 -89). This turbo makes full boost by 2800 rpms on a 168 cid engine. So 2 should be the same on a 350.

If you use 0.48 a/r it will be boosting all the time which is not a good thing.

if you have a 210hp/300ftlbs engine and add 7.7 psi of boost, then the engine should make 315hp/450ftlbs. 10 psi will make 350hp/505ftlbs.

will need a boost ignition timing retard system and a way to add more fuel on boost (8:1 fmu).

thanks for the insight on the turbine housing i pretty much want boost off idle but i dont want them so small that its trying to boost while cruising either.

the 50 trims are much easier to come by out of a junkyard with the 45 trims even being mor eplentiful then the 50's
i thought the 60's were only on the turbo coupes , turbo 4 banger stangs and the dodge turbo shadows and newyorkers.

i dont like using an fmu for tunning though i have done it before, im a big fan of the megasquirt system so i will be doing all my fuel and ignition tunning with that

the l98 in the truck is 240hp@4,400 rpm ,340ftlbs@ 3100rpms ( or atleast it should be if it has the correct cam specs that the motor originally had in 1989
Old 12-30-2011, 08:48 AM

Last journal entry: update
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by va4cqd
it should be a nv3500 if stock
No, it shouldn't. NV3500 was too light-duty for any 3/4-ton.
As for the NV4500, it did appear in '92, search some more reliable sources.
Also, the NV3500 never had a granny gear.
The '92-'93 4WD NV4500s are the most coveted, both for their bellhousings, and their unique gearing, which was not shared with Dodge and later GM NV4500s.
The NV4500 is plenty strong for your ambitions.
Old 12-30-2011, 02:50 PM

Last photo:

yes, megasquirt would be ideal. But you will need more injector than you have now. (50% more to run 7-8 psi of boost). Or use the megasquirt and the fmu to increase the output from the injectors.

yes, boost while just driving down the highway would be the problem with a turbine that is too small.

240hp/340ftlbs should go to 360hp/510ftlbs with 7.5 psi of boost.
Old 12-30-2011, 03:30 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454C10
yes, megasquirt would be ideal. But you will need more injector than you have now. (50% more to run 7-8 psi of boost). Or use the megasquirt and the fmu to increase the output from the injectors.

yes, boost while just driving down the highway would be the problem with a turbine that is too small.

240hp/340ftlbs should go to 360hp/510ftlbs with 7.5 psi of boost.
i have a brand new set of prescision turbo low -z 65# injectors in my twin turbo camaro right now, those are to small for it so when i upgrade those to 120# injectors i will swap the 65's over to the truck

360/510 would be a blast
my v6 camaro makes 336/440 rwhp/tq @ 10 psi and that thing is such a joy to drive . just wish i could turn it up some more but im pretty much at the limit of the factory 60* block, one of these days ill have to dig my gmpp aluminum race block out and see if i cant get 2 new sleeves for it and put that together so i can turn the boost up on the v6
Old 01-03-2012, 01:28 AM

Last photo:

Anybody could hit an animal, coulda been you, be greatful it wasnt.sorry about the animal

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.