Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 92 silverado engine upgrades
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2013, 12:14 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project89 View Post
yeah its not a floating axle, i do have a friend who will be burning me some new tunes for the truck and if that fails i have a psare standalone ecm i can install same stuff i run on my twin turbo iroc

i have to move my 18ft camping trailer with it tommorow so ill see how it does as is

the good thing is when i tow to vegas elevation only goes down , and the slat flats is 1000 or 1,500 ft lower then here maybe more
You hit on what may be the magic answer, turbo. At your altitude there is about a 20 percent loss in air density which relates to a 20% loss in rated the engine's power. So you'd certainly feel that. A 200 horse engine would be down 40 horses. That can be made up with standard hot rod techniques but getting there will mostly make the performance at modern and legal cruise speed worse at while the poser can be recovered it will show mostly on the top end at the sacrifice of the lower end. A form of supercharge simply gets around all that as it eliminates the need for a long winded cam with tons of compression which would become a pain to deal with at lower altitudes. A turbo with an barometric bypass valve gets around the whole mess keeping the boost at a steady rate above the atmospheric so that would automatically adjust the boost pressure for altitude and other causes of air density changes.

Bogie