Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 92 silverado engine upgrades
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2013, 01:36 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbogie View Post
You hit on what may be the magic answer, turbo. At your altitude there is about a 20 percent loss in air density which relates to a 20% loss in rated the engine's power. So you'd certainly feel that. A 200 horse engine would be down 40 horses. That can be made up with standard hot rod techniques but getting there will mostly make the performance at modern and legal cruise speed worse at while the poser can be recovered it will show mostly on the top end at the sacrifice of the lower end. A form of supercharge simply gets around all that as it eliminates the need for a long winded cam with tons of compression which would become a pain to deal with at lower altitudes. A turbo with an barometric bypass valve gets around the whole mess keeping the boost at a steady rate above the atmospheric so that would automatically adjust the boost pressure for altitude and other causes of air density changes.

Bogie
while im a big fan of turbocharging , i do it on the cheap with mostly stocvk bottom ends , and havenever grenaded one. i would worry about doing it on a tow viechal as it would be under heavy load all the time, good intercooler and meth injection could solve the heat issues im worried about.

but m,y question is if i have to tow up a 5-7 mile grade eventually that intercooler is going to heat soak and at that point the meth can only cool things down so much

my camaro will be around 2.900-3,200 pounds + a small trailer so its really not much wieght but id still be afariad of it without getting atleast some forged pistons in the engine and i really really dont want to get that far into the shortblock.

on the other hand i do have the twin turbo kit off my iroc before i upgraded to tubular headers and twin 76mm turbos that would bolt right on.

at my altitude its about 4 psi of boost to get back to seal level air density so a 7 psi setting would give a nice boost back in power