93 350LT1 engine Build - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2012, 05:00 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

93 350LT1 engine Build

Ok guys, I'm back with another problem that I hope someone can answer. I bought a 93 model LT1 shortblock .do I have to have a reverse flow intake and heads. is this true?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2012, 05:39 PM

Last photo:

Yes. The intake has a bolt pattern unique to itself and the LT4. And the block and heads are reverse cooled and again will not interchange with traditional sbc's.
Old 03-02-2012, 05:52 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyrockola1
Ok guys, I'm back with another problem that I hope someone can answer. I bought a 93 model LT1 shortblock .do I have to have a reverse flow intake and heads. is this true?
Yes you have to use reverse flow heads and intake. The LT1 and 4 have coolant flow passages where normal flow blocks and heads have an oil return. Using standard heads on a reverse flow block will result in a massive coolant leak into the oily parts of the engine.

However, reverse flow heads can be modified to run a standard block by welding the unique coolant passages closed, this is possible because these heads are aluminum. This still takes making an external coolant return on the ends of the heads as there is no connection on the manifold face to return coolant to a route as part of the intake. This can be built, but it is very difficult fabrication and then welding of several small detail parts to form a passage. Of course after all this welding the heads have to be re machined.

Cast iron doesn't take to being welded without the use of expensive heating till the whole block is dull red. Then welding in plugs, allowing it to cool at a controlled rate for a day or two, then magna-fluxing to see if you got lucky and it didn't crack. When done, the block is warped and needs to be completely re-machined. It's easier to find some LT1/4 heads on
Ebay, or sell the block and get something that works without all the difficulties and complication.

As you can see I haven't got to the intake as, I'm sure you can see, there is no point.

Bogie
Old 03-03-2012, 01:40 PM

93 350LT1 engine Build

Thanks Bogie, I have a 93 regular engine out of a truck.I'll just use it being I already spent $600.00 on a set of alum. heads that wont work on the LT1.Well back to the drawing board.Sure glad you smart guys tolerate dummys like me.
Thanks again Bogie,probably be back for more input before I get this other engine built. HA !

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.