Hot Rod Forum banner

'93 Cougar IRS, and general IRS question

2K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  LiftFlat 
#1 ·
I have a '36 Ford pickup, I bought a '93 Cougar for the 5.0/AOD and notice it has an IRS under it.

I'm not sure of what would be needed to make the IRS work under the pickup, but I do have a question about ride/handling issues.

See, I have a nice 4inch dropped axle for the '36, the '36 also has the single traverse spring pack across the front end.

I'd like to keep the dropped axle up front, and run an IRS in the back. I know I'll have to box the frame, probably make new x members to stiffen it up, and take out the big "X mememer it has now...but am I asking for trouble running this frontend/rearend combo?

The engine will be basically stock, I won't be drag racing, nor high speed handling. Truck will be just for fun/cruising, no serious performance.

Thanks, all opinions welcome:)

#3 ·
I did some looking at it a bit ago, looks like Id to fashion something for the struts, or try a small shock to fit inside the coil springs...might be the way to go. If trying to mimic the way it's in the car right now, the struts look like they would be on the outside of my frame...not a good look unless well hidden by the fender and tire...but I'd rather have it inside the rails.

The rest of it looks very swappable (is that a real word?) with some fabbing for the upper mounts.

I guess the only real way to know for sure is to drop the gas tank out and fire of the torch!

#5 ·
It'll be some time before I get to the rear, I'm currently getting ready to pull the engine and tranny to check for fit and fab up some mounts.

Hopefully the wife won't have the car towed off before I get the rear out of it;) I should be safe as long as I keep it stashed behnd the shop, she hates going back there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.