Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - '93 ford tempo won't start. Need help pulling codes
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2007, 05:07 PM
4cyl Pentastar Fanatic

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodFather
Still not starting.
my plugs are wet with fuel, Plugs are getting spark.
My local autoparts store sold me a ETC Sensor, and it doesn't look like it's actually for my car. Does anyone know where I can view location or buy one online. The part store swears it's correct but it doesn't look like the one going into my thermostat housing.

Can a ETC Sensor keep a car from starting?
I have see bad temp sensors cause cars to stop running or enter no start conditions. The computer reads the temp of the coolant and alters the fuel tables based upon the input. I would replace the sensor and check the wiring first. Ensure that your auto shut down relay is not being tripped. If you are getting fuel pressure, it is not being tripped. If your Ford is equipped with that friggin inertia switch, check that too! That thing has suckered me a few times.

Try going to a decent parts store as well. The guys at NAPA or CarQuest always seem to be much more knowledgeable and helpful then the guys at AutoZone or Advanced, at least in my experience.

Quote:
Another thing to check would be the Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor. If the ECT is telling the PCM the engine is hotter than it is, the PCM will lean out the full mixture, possibly to the point where the vehicle won't start.
Source: http://autorepair.about.com/library/a/1i/bl755i.htm