93 lincoln with 4.6 liter auotmatic o/d problem - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2006, 12:21 AM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last journal entry: car with tt2's, (stockers going back on)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

93 lincoln with 4.6 liter auotmatic o/d problem

an hour south of here in the rain in stop and go traffic my trans, when we are finally able to go 50 mph starts cycling between third and fourth gear, back and forth, like it's gonna blow up. after about a half hour later, by the time i got to a ford dealer, i was able to give it a rest for about two hours cause they were closed. when i got back in it, i just found out from them that there is a on/off button for the overdrive on the shifter lever. i get in and head back home and for the next hour and a half, with the o/d in OFF, the car drives fine. nobody seems to know what happened. i think the trans is still probably not long for this world. i know the trans wasnt happy going 50 mph in o.d. and can understand why, but the trans mech down the street says it still shouldnt have done that. he says the car could go 5,ooo miles, or it could go five miles. i was headed for reno, 1000 miles south. trip cancelled. anybody know what this means if different from the above, (which basically is: i don't know squat)

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2006, 09:19 AM

Last photo:

I'm no expert either, but I'll venture forth...

The OD on the transmission simply locks the torque convertor. There is a switch that controls the operation and I think it's on the transmission.

Should not be expensive to fix, but in the case of my '95 Marquis with 170,XXX miles, I entrust the transmission care to a local transmission shop. With proper and learned maintaince there is no reason your tranny would not live nearly forever.
Old 02-03-2006, 10:16 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Bull,
When the tranny is in overdrive mode the computer tells the tranny to "hunt" for the highest gear possible..of course every little hill or bump the tranny kicks down to get over..Soooo just turn the OD off and it won't do that..Mine will do that in some road conditions..works fine at higher speeds and on flatt ground..that has happened to me..was acommon complaint when those OD tranny's first came out..

OMT
Old 02-03-2006, 12:45 PM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last journal entry: car with tt2's, (stockers going back on)
Last photo:

well, that's just it. after it cooled off, or whatever it did for a couple hours. and then ran perfectly home with the o.d. off and even with it on at over 65mph, we get to this hill with "od on" with dry pavement and at about 30mph it hiccouphs, so it scared me. i thought it was with od off, but my wife just told me it was on. maybe we could be on our way to reno now. suckee.

TOOK TO THE TRANS SHOP and they say it's not the tranny, that the engine in missing. but i looked under the hood, IT'S RIGHT THERE!
okay, haha. so, the check engine light doesnt come on either. nothing. we'll try to stick it on the computer tomorrow at 10am and see. my bud has a set of plug wires at his house.

Last edited by bullheimer; 02-03-2006 at 06:24 PM.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.