Hot Rod Forum banner

93 rx7 replacement

3K views 27 replies 4 participants last post by  MARTINSR 
#1 ·
Hi I have a 93 rx7 and I was wondering if I can get some info on replacing a quarter panel as the panel was in a collision.
Thanks
Richard

#3 ·
That car was a bit unique, it has no visible seams front or rear. I did a lot of work on them years ago and vaguely remember changing a quarter. :sweat: Post some photos of yours so we can have a little more to go on, maybe replacing it isn't the best way to go.

Brian

#4 ·
Hi will get some pics, I have the new panel as well as a mig with gas some I'm covered there, I think I am at the point were I'm at the point were I'm a bit worried but should it be pretty much the same as repairing a camaro quarter panel. The only reason why I am a bit worried is before I got the car the door and rear hatch bolts were unscrewed so I lost all my reference points, but I do have another rx7 for measurements as I have two. I aligned the hatch and door as best as possible so I was thinking that I would measure the gaps of what I have now and achieve those same gaps with the new OEM panel.
BTW could I get your number by any chance so I could ask a few questions.
Thanks
Richard

#7 ·
Pics, how should I remove quarter from rocker there is a seam there and I was wondering if it would be easier to section then to remove from the seam.

Attachments

#16 ·
As we discussed you can simply plug weld from that side into the new quarter on that hole. But if you do have a hole you need to weld up without a backing you can make a tool to do it out of a piece of copper plumbing pipe. Just flatten the end down with a hammer and you can hold it behind the hole. You could also of course make a piece out of flat copper that you can clamp in place.

Brian

#20 ·
Thanks it took about a hour in a half, it was a lot of work but it is coming along, is there anything else I should do before I put skin on. I also treated the wheel house as it had rust, I was going to spray u-pol weld through primer copper and then use u pol tiger seal for seam sealer what do you guys think and there was a panel sealent/adhesive between wheel house and quarter as well as some spot welds on inner lip what was used as a sealent between wheel house and quarter skin.

#23 ·
Did you make a backing out of a piece cut off the new quarter? If you did you could screw it all together and the fit can be corrected before you weld it.

Brian

#25 ·
I am thinking something in the gutter is interfering with it laying down in there flat or something. That area is very weak and will twist easily, so something is holding it from fitting properly.

Brian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.