93 Taurus GL Temperature Range - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2005, 05:31 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

93 Taurus GL Temperature Range

The 1993 Ford Taurus GL, 3.8L which I drive runs with the coolant temperature gauge at the low end of the "NORMAL" scale. The gauge pointer hits about the center of the "N" in winter and runs upward around the center of "O" in the summer. Is this about what others have found common on a Taurus? The manual claims that anything within "NORMAL" is satisfactory. I can see a dip of the gauge needle below the "N" when the thermostat opens but the needle climbs back to the center of the "N" within a minute or so during winter months. Any comments? The heater doesn't smoke me out but it seems reasonable.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2005, 10:40 AM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

Are you sure the guage reads correctly?
Old 01-13-2005, 11:00 AM

93 Taurus Coolant Temperature

Regarding the point as to whether the gauge is working properly, I can only say that it has worked consistantly the same since day one. It is conceivable that the transmitter or what ever transducer senses the water temperature is not giving the right output too. Since I did not invest in the Helm series for this car, I don't have any test to verify the gauge or sensor. If you have any quick suggestions, I'm all ears. Thank you for mentioning the gauge issue. It could be whipped!
Old 01-13-2005, 06:46 PM

Last journal entry: better comparison before and after shots
Last photo:

that sounds like a normal range to me. word to the wise, if you ever think your cooling system isn't reading right, replace the temp sending unit first. then the hoses, t-stat, h20 pump and radiator. not all that, then the temp sending unit.
Old 06-28-2011, 01:34 PM

I noticed this query while searching for some information regarding my 92 Taurus GL. I am very inclined to say that your observations are of normal..hehe operation. My temperature indicator always hovers around the "O" occasionally hitting the "R". Sometimes on long highway drives when it is cool outside, I have had it hold at or below the "N".

Small sidebar, a friend of mine had a 92 Taurus when we were in high school, I had never even been in one. He calls me one day and asks, "can I ask you a quick car question?" Of course I oblige and was confronted with, "My normal is running really high. What's that mean?" I of course said, "this I have to see" and enjoyed a good laugh when I saw the indicator and that it simply says "NORMAL" across the entire range of motion.
Old 06-28-2011, 03:17 PM

93 Taurus Temp Range...

Thank you for commenting about the 93 Taurus temperature performance.

I put the car aside for a couple years and recommissioned it this past winter when the other crate I was driving got a detached rear axel. To my amazement, the Taurus started up without much effort and I've been using it ever since.

I had a bad front engine mount and fixed that by using a used steel brake emergency cable to hold down the front of the engine since the front mount is what keep the front of the motor from lifting when the car accelerates forward. The cable holds the motor down and works like a charm. It beat trying to horse in a new motor mount and probably wrecking the exhaust system connection in the process.

The temp still hangs around "o" in normal.
Old 06-28-2011, 04:15 PM
It's shady under this tree...

Last photo:

Installing an engine mount isn't all that hard on those cars. A floor jack with a block of wood in the saddle, and raise the engine (with the mounts loosened) on the edge portion of the oil pan. Someone helping by pushing the engine slightly aft will help. The exhaust will follow the engine and the only stress would be on the hangers and the flex pipe just before the muffler.

My truck does the same thing with the wandering coolant needle. I've changed the radiator, the cap, water pump, and hoses. It seems to do this too in the summer when excess fluid flows into the reservoir. That's where I get some fluid loss too. Just monitor it like I do, because my truck, even on the hottest days with the A/C on, never overheats.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:29 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by awbazar
The 1993 Ford Taurus GL, 3.8L which I drive runs with the coolant temperature gauge at the low end of the "NORMAL" scale. The gauge pointer hits about the center of the "N" in winter and runs upward around the center of "O" in the summer. Is this about what others have found common on a Taurus? The manual claims that anything within "NORMAL" is satisfactory. I can see a dip of the gauge needle below the "N" when the thermostat opens but the needle climbs back to the center of the "N" within a minute or so during winter months. Any comments? The heater doesn't smoke me out but it seems reasonable.
Its all good. Sounds just Normal , actually for a car that old that is a good normal. There is nothing wrong there. Leave it be, enjoy the ride.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.