Hot Rod Forum banner

!930 Ford Model A suspension update and Questions

1K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  docsouce 
#1 ·
I bought some new springs from Eaton. They were 13 1/2 inches tall and .55 diameter. (these are for the 1974 mustang 2 front suspension. The ones I took out were 12 1/2 inches tall and .580 thick. The originals were too long and did not collapse enough to keep the top ball joint from binding against the spindle. After talking with sales at Eaton we decided to try the smaller diameter springs. Well they were just too long so I cut them down to 12 1/2 inches, installed them put the wheels on and took the truck off the jack stands. Sitting on the ground the new springs apparently are still to long. I made a little gizmo and compressed the psgr side (a bolt through the shock mount hole) to the point we are looking for (bottom a frame parallel to the floor). I had to compress the spring 3/4 inch to get to the right height. Question 1. If I cut more off the new lighter springs will I still have enough tension so it doesn't bottom out? Probably have to ride it but it is far from road ready. Next question. With the spring at the right height the car is much lower that it was. I don't want it this low. I don't know if it can be done by looking at the pictures but do you folks think these are drop spindles? If they are maybe I can find a set of stock height spindles and grain a couple of inches height that way.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I don't know what kind of spindle you have there, but it bears no resemblance to any MII spindle I've ever seen. Were these supposed to be front steer spindles that you reversed side for side or are they rear-steer spindles off "who knows what"?
Have you measured the taper on the ball joint studs for matching with the tapered holes in the control arms? Did you know that they're supposed to match?

This is a stock front-steer MII spindle.....
http://static.speedwaymotors.com/RS/SR/Product/91034313_L.jpg

It's obvious that the passenger side spring is too small in diameter to fit the spring register in the bottom of the lower control arm. Driver's side seems to have seated OK. If this were my ride, I'd tear out all that mess and start over with the right parts that match each other and use the diagonal strut to support the lower control arm front/rear. I see nothing but trouble with what you have there.

#3 ·
1930 ford Model a componemt ID

I bought this about a month and a half ago. It's a barn find. The gent who built it passed away about 4 years ago. I have no idea what parts were used. I posted a thread on oct 3 here on the suspension forum trying to identify some of the components. Had good replies. What I did was pull the lower arm on the psgr side up with a harness I made to see what the correct level will look like. That is why the two sides aren't even. What I found is that I need to cut the springs more to get both the lower arms level with the ground. I'm Ok with that. The problem is that with the arms in the new correct position (level with the ground the car sits to low. So maybe this spindle is a drop spindle and if so the stock spindle should raise the up some. The tapers match and the only markings on the spindle is "S-10". I need to get the right parts for this Rod. If I can find out what they are!!

Attachments

#4 ·
OK, so it's a rear steer S10 IFS. It appears to be a dropped spindle also. Look at the accompanying photo of a stock spindle on the left and a 2" dropped spindle on the right.....
LocostUSA.com • View topic - S10 Spindle dimentions

The next order of business is to find out if the builder narrowed or widened the IFS from factory stock specs. If he did that, then all the factory geometry is out the door and you end up with whatever you end up with, but I doubt that you'll like the way it drives. Bolt the tires and wheels on and measure from the centerline of the passenger side tire to the centerline of the driver's side tire and let's find out what the front track is.

#5 ·
IFS measurement

I measured the length from the centers of the shock mount hole and it is 2' 11 1/2 inches which matches with the info supplied in the replies to my post of 10/3. I agree. This spindle that I have doesn't match the 1974-78 mustang 2 spindles at all. I checked out the Wilwood site and mine are way off.. The length of the upper and lower arms match the diagrams. I'm going to have to pick up a stock spindle and see how that works out.

#6 · (Edited)
After a good night's sleep, I finally see what you have. Your system uses aftermarket drop S10 spindles that have been switched left to right and right to left to make the system rear steer instead of front steer like the original S10 system. Doing this will require some pretty slick engineering and I have read that some builders will use a Cavalier rack or modified Cavalier rack to make it work, although I have not done this particular front suspension and steering system change myself. I think I'd make a call to Fatman Fabrications and ask Brent Vandervort if this is one of his creations. If it is, then you can get all the particulars from him, including the proper springs to use to get the front ride height where you want it. He's in Charlotte, NC at (704) 545-0369.

I'd be very interested in finding out how this setup handles, particularly since Ackermann has been thrown out the window with the reversal of the spindles. :eek:

I'm guessing that it won't be long before you tear all this mess out of there and install a stock system that was engineered by factory engineers to work correctly. But that's just a guess. :thumbup:

OR, you might purchase stock S10 spindles and reverse them back to their proper orientation and incorporate a custom front-steer rack and pinion from one of the aftermarket manufacturers, bringing correct Ackermann back into the mix. Brent may even make a rack that works.

#7 ·
Spindles

Thanks for the info and his number. I'll give him a call tomorrow and see if he can help with this. In the mean time I looked up the Wilwood 830-10832 stock height spindle with bolt on steering arms for the 1974 mustang 2. The bolt on arm of course provides for a front or rear rack. But before I do or buy anything I'm going to call this gent and check with my friends or junk yards and see if I can find/borrow a mustang 2 spindle and see what that does to this thing. I only need 1 so I can see what it does to the springs and height. I don't care if it has a front or rear steering arm at the moment.The way this was set up I'm surprised it didn't rip the top ball joint apart.

Thanks for your help on this. I really appreciate it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.