93GMC 4.3 to Performance 5.7 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine> Modern Electronic Engines
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2012, 11:01 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

93GMC 4.3 to Performance 5.7

Hey Guys
I'm fixin to put a LT1 350 in my 93 GMC pickup.It curently has the TBI 4.3 v6.
I was told that I can use the computer and wiring thats in it,except it wont work right with a performance engine.Is there anything I can do with the existing computer so that it will work with the performance engine?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2012, 11:38 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

I dunno who told you that but they were wrong. The TBI system is very basic and simple. It's computer is based on the old 80's designs. The LT1 is somewhat more advanced. TBI used 2 injectors no matter what size the engine was and the LT1 uses eight injectors. To run the LT1 you'll have to swap the whole computer system, wiring and the fuel pump then afterwards set the cooling system up for reverse flow cooling. I sure do wish GM computer systems were that interchangeable. If they were everybody would be doing this swap.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:54 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyrockola1
Hey Guys
I'm fixin to put a LT1 350 in my 93 GMC pickup.It curently has the TBI 4.3 v6.
I was told that I can use the computer and wiring thats in it,except it wont work right with a performance engine.Is there anything I can do with the existing computer so that it will work with the performance engine?
Which LT1 the 1960's-70's GEN I or the mid 1990's GEN II, these are very different engines, but either can be converted to use your 93 TBI. But TBI is not crazy about camshaft "improvements"

Your existing computer is not really compatible with the 1990's LT1 sequential port injection, it can be made to work the injectors like the TPI system did.

TBI can be used on a carb manifold for the reverse cooled 1990s LT1 and can be had in 2 barrel versions up to 670 CFM from either Holley or off a 454 pick up. But the problem is getting the 2 injector configuration to deliver enough fuel to feed anything over 300 horses. Holley offers a 700 CFM 4 barrel TBI which gets around the fuel deficiencies of the 2 barrel injector. You will need a custom chip. Try these guys for tons of TBI info http://www.tbichips.com But your existing computer will not run the 1990's LT1 Opti-Spark system, this would require the use of a TBI/TPI type distributor running in the conventional Chevy rear mounted position.

You need to come back with more specifics about your LT1 aspirations.

Bogie
Old 02-02-2012, 06:49 PM

93 GMC with 4.3 v6 swappin to aw LT1 350

well heres what I got.I have a early 90s 350 block, bored .030.with flat top pistons. I ordered a set of Alum. heads,200cc runners, 64cc chamber,with 202 /1.6 valves. Block has the 1 peice rear main.The heads are drilled to accept the early style or vortec style intake.I also ordered Comp cams Big motha thumper cam. flat tappet, hydrolic. Also have headers. I have a TBI system off of a 93 350 that I had planned to use with my computer thats in the truck now,but begining to think thats not happinin. What do ya think? Carberator, with aw raised runner intake and aw MSD distributer? Oh and whats with the reversed flow cooling system? Arent all serpenteen systems reverse flow? I'm 60 years old and know the old school stuff pretty good ,but these new computer controled systems throw me for aw loop. Ilike em though.Just wish I could get it figured out. HA
Old 02-02-2012, 07:35 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
well heres what I got.I have a early 90s 350 block, bored .030.with flat top pistons. I ordered a set of Alum. heads,200cc runners, 64cc chamber,with 202 /1.6 valves. Block has the 1 peice rear main.The heads are drilled to accept the early style or vortec style intake.I also ordered Comp cams Big motha thumper cam. flat tappet, hydrolic. Also have headers. I have a TBI system off of a 93 350 that I had planned to use with my computer thats in the truck now,but begining to think thats not happinin. What do ya think? Carberator, with aw raised runner intake and aw MSD distributer? Oh and whats with the reversed flow cooling system? Arent all serpenteen systems reverse flow? I'm 60 years old and know the old school stuff pretty good ,but these new computer controled systems throw me for aw loop. Ilike em though.Just wish I could get it figured out. HA
GM doesn't make this easy. The serpentine belt system on the GEN I engines starting on the 84 'vette this phased in though 85 to 87 on the other lines. These require a reverse rotation water pump and fan if it's driven off the pump. Otherwise, the cooling system of the engine is the same as previous V belts.

In 1992 Chevy brought out the LT1 engine in the Corvette and later the Z-28, this is different than the original LT-1 of 1969-70; notice the dash or lack there-of. The LT1 uses reverse cooling similar to the 1955-59 Pontiac where the coolant flows into the head, down to the block and returns to the radiator. This is the GEN II small block, it has rotating parts (crank assembly and cam) sufficiently common to the GEN I engine that they will interchange. But the external parts of block, heads, timing cover, water pump, intake manifold will not, they are unique to the GEN II. In 96 the LT1 went through a number of power improving performance enhancements the end result being renamed LT4, but is otherwise a similar execution to the LT1. These engines did much to prototype the GEN III, LS series engine in many concepts including the reversed cooling and systems management. However, there is nothing interchangeable between GEN III and the earlier SBCs. The GEN III is a start from a clean sheet of paper.

In addition to GEN I and GEN II, there is the L31 Vortec. It is more like GEN I.5. It uses a new but similar block, rotating assembly, heads, intake, front cover with crank position sensor, and computer managed central port individual injector per cylinder with a distributor in the usual SBC location but unique to its computer. Much of the L31 will interchange on GEN I engines, their heads and intake being a most popular swap.

There, also, is the multi step GEN I changes that started in 84 with serpentine belts, then progressed to one piece rear seal cranks, a change to the entry angle of the center 4 (2 per side) intake manifold bolts with a bunch of new head designs from the 'vette/Z28, L98 aluminum head, also, available in iron for Implalas; to the L05 Swirl Port truck head used through 95 in full size pickups and vans with two chamber sizes of 64 or 76 ccs depending on casting number. Most everything about GEN I, these sort of interim GEN I's and the GEN I.5 L-31 can be interchanged if you bring or delete the right sets of things and systems along with any change. The 305 to a large, but not complete, extent tags along but has its own quirks.

So when you said reverse cooling 350 you can see why we went weird on you. Talk about "this ain't your fathers Oldsmobile", what happened at Chevy ain't what your father remembers either.

Bogie

Last edited by oldbogie; 02-02-2012 at 07:44 PM.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:12 AM

93GMC 4.3 to Performance 5.7

Ohh Man! What have I gotten my stupid self into?Sounds like I need to go get some #s off the the block and go from there. I just hope these Alum. heads I bought will work on it. I bought this short block at a racing auction.They said it was an LT1350,but for all I know it might be one of those late model 327's.I'll get back with ya with the numbers,hopefully it will get me started in the right direction.
I sure appriciate you taking the time to steer me in the right direction.Some good might come out of this yet. Sounds like I know just enough to get myself into aw bunch of trouble. HA!
Old 02-03-2012, 10:24 AM
Race The Truck

Last journal entry: Son's Truck
Last photo:

Quote:
Ohh Man! What have I gotten my stupid self into?Sounds like I need to go get some #s off the the block and go from there. I just hope these Alum. heads I bought will work on it. I bought this short block at a racing auction.They said it was an LT1350,but for all I know it might be one of those late model 327's.I'll get back with ya with the numbers,hopefully it will get me started in the right direction.
I sure appriciate you taking the time to steer me in the right direction.Some good might come out of this yet. Sounds like I know just enough to get myself into aw bunch of trouble. HA!
It can be done and has been done! You might want to go here and see how other have done this. www.fullsizechevy.com
Old 02-03-2012, 02:28 PM

93GMC 4.3 to Performance 5.7 Reply to Thread

Well feelin pretty sick right now.couldent find any numbers on the block anywhere,all it had back where the numbers are supposed to be was,GM 5.7LG and some 4digit numbers right at the edge of of the block that I couldent make out. Checked the crank #s though and its a 86 model 305!
Havent checked the bore size yet but its lookin like I've got myself aw 305.
Man! I cant win for loosin!
Let ya know what it is for sure, when I get the bore size. Thanks anyway!
Old 02-04-2012, 12:28 AM
GearHead-EFI.com

Quote:
Just another learning curve, I'm old too but got into these about ten years ago.

What is the ECM/PCM number? 1993 is a good chance you have a 16197427 PCM or an equivalent. You can run $OD, $OE, $31, $E6 mask ID but the most popular is $OD which is for a 4l60E and $OE for 4l80E. This is a very versatile PCM and came as TBI but can run CPI and MPFI but not sequential or Optispark for LT1, but we now know you don't have that... bins, wiring, PE code and MPFI instructions can be found here:
http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...Information-OD
There is a 4.3L bin file there so good chance this is your PCM. The V6 Memcal/chip is differant than V8 so you will need a V8 Memcal to start. But a stock chip will not run this engine, you will need to tune it.

You'll need an approximate HP rating for your engine and can use an injector calculate to see what pressure you need to run your injectors, set up the bin file with specifics and then data log and tune the bin file! Youll need a laptop computer, TunerPro software is by far the best and cheapest, a data logging cable to hook up to your ALDL port, chip adapter and burner all can be had from Moates here:
http://www.moates.net/

Recent Modern Electronic Engines posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.