Hot Rod Forum banner

94 Dodge Transmission Electronics problem?

5K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Crosley 
#1 ·
Hello All,

This weekend I put in new trnasmission input and output speed sensors on my '94 3.3 Dodge Intrepid (transmission is an automatic 4-speed OD - I think its A604 or something like that). Its also front-wheel drive, which I've not had much experience with.

The car was in "limp mode" which means the transmission computer is worried about some kind of possible catastrophy. It keeps the car in second gear throughout any forward movement (no first or third or fourth, but it has neutral, park, and reverse). You also can't "override" this "limp mode" by manually shifting it. This came about because of an accident the prior owner was in where the car was hit and spun around 270 degrees.

The transmission speed sensors usually cause this problem. I disconnected the battery while doing this replacement, which is also supposed to reset the transmission computer. Unfortunately, this has not made a difference and the car is still bound to second gear in forward. The speedo is not working either.

Another unique symptom that I see is the on-dash LED shift selector remains out completely after startup. Then the "P" LED comes on after a few seconds. When I shift to reverse or drive, all the LED's light up (PRNDLL2L1) and remain lit until I turn the car off. The console shift indicator (on the floor) does not light up at all.

I have a "gut feeling" that the problem is electronics somewhere. I spoke to a guy with a '96 this weekend, and he said it might be that the Transmission Computer may need to be "reflashed" because the car was hit and spun around. But I'm not sure if the accident would mess up software so that it needs to be flashed.

I don't know if this qualifies as a "hot rodding" problem, but it is definietly a transmission problem. It probably also happens to the higher performance newer MOPARS such as the R/T Intrepids, Stratus, and maybe Neons. If anyone has experience with these transmissions and can pass on some tips or advice, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

Joseph

See less See more
#2 ·
Yes your trans needs to be "reflashed". I rebuilt one for a Dodge Daytona last spring for a friend of mines daughter. The d***ed thing about drove me nuts. Intermittant "limp" modes and very irratic at times, but when working properly it was fantastic. It turned out to be a "glitch" in the trans computer controll. A 20 min test and computer tune up and its good for another 100 thou.

#3 ·
The 604 tranny is by no means a symbol or durability but it sounds likely in this case you just have a bad sensor I dont' know with or not they run the speedo of the out put speed sensor or not on those but could be related
I just finished rebuilding one of those my self actually.

#4 ·
dodge tranny

42 le(606) transmission,as it is called you should have it scanned to be sure but sounds like you have already found the trouble with dash lights. that would most likely be the mvlps (manual valve lever positions switch) which in on the inside of tranny pan on valve body. no easy for diy tranny shop would be your best place for this..

#5 ·
Thank all of you for the replies.

I'd like to follow up on a couple of the suggestions with a few more questions:

1. When I "have it scanned", is this something that can be done at say Autozone? Is the main computer scanned, or is it the Transmission computer that gets scanned?

2. If the transmission computer needs to be "re-flashed", how is this done, and who has the "master" firmware? Is this like re-flashing a computer BIOS or PROM? Or is this something that must be done at a dealer or transmission shop?

3. Regarding what "Airworld" said about the MVLPS, I would not be afraid to attempt the repair. Someone on DodgeIntrepid.com also menioned the MVLPS. Unfortunately, on that site, the group is younger and usually resort to having repairs performed by repair shops, and no one was able to tell me where the sensor was located. The car and its problem have taken it out of being a "daily driver". Can you give me a down and dirty idea of what is involved because I do have to remove the pan to change the fluid and filter?

You see, I can either attempt this repair, or get back to re-building the front end on my son's Cougar, and that is a royal PITA...a real knucklebuster in this cold weather (ball joints and tie rods).

Thanks again good people,

Joseph

#7 ·
briscoe

just a quick thought on electronic transmissions,buying sensors that you think may fix a problem can get expensive.we are all of a like mind relative to this site,and we want to fix our cars if we can,but sometimes we must capitulate and let a qualified individual take care of the concern

#8 ·
good advice , even on a 3 year old thread.

:D

briscoe said:
just a quick thought on electronic transmissions,buying sensors that you think may fix a problem can get expensive.we are all of a like mind relative to this site,and we want to fix our cars if we can,but sometimes we must capitulate and let a qualified individual take care of the concern

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.