94 GM Suburban Brake Problems - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2007, 04:37 PM
Sloe Lurner

Last journal entry: front boxing plates
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

94 GM Suburban Brake Problems

Is anyone familiar with the ABS system on a 93-94 Chevy Suburban?? Here is what is going on. They (my sister) drove the truck without the gasket on the master cyl Reservoir and got water contamination in the brake system. I told her to replace the master cyl and have the system pressure bled to remove any contaminated fluid. The Garage replaced that and also the proportioning valve. Now what is happeneing is that if you gradually apply brakes as in normal driving it act normal and brakes just fine, but in a sudden stop situation the brakes just dont grab and hold. I'm thinking she might have to replace the ABS motor. Any ideas would really help!!

I havent had the chance to feel the pedal to see how firm it is. and i dont know how they bled the brakes..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2007, 07:10 AM
mostly confused

Last journal entry:
Last photo:

I have ABS experience. While it is limited on the 94 suburban they all work the same way. You need to actually drive the vehicle yourself to make the evaluation. An ABS system is passive. Meaning it doesn't do anything until it "senses" a wheel is locked up. Then it pulses the the fluid to the locked up wheel something like 10 times per second allowing it to roll to help the driver maintain steering control and still apply maximum force to the caliper/rotor.This can make the brakes feel very peculiar, especially if you have never experienced it before.Since the pedal will pulse and vibrate and act like it's going to the floor. I have run into this kind of situation before,but before I put this down here I want you to understand that the following statement is based on personal experience. It is possible that there is nothing wrong and she has it in her head that there is. I'm not saying that she's making it up or there isn't anything wrong with the brakes. I service 74 delivery trucks with 100+ drivers and I see this regularly. I would also like to say that anyone that has never experienced an emergency stop in a modern ABS vehicle should drive out to a deserted parking lot or short stretch of road, make sure your seat belt is on and get the vehicle going 25 or 30mph in a straight ahead position, brace there arms and apply full on hard as you can press brake application. For one this runs the ABS through it's paces and another it prepares you for what to expect the system to do in a real emergency. If after you drive the vehicle and determine that the ABS is malfunctioningm you can pull the fuse for the ABS and the vehicle will have traditional "old School" non ABS brakes. But only do this long enough to get it to a reputible repair shop, since it will lock up and slide in the rain for sure. Good luck Brian
Old 02-02-2007, 01:16 AM

Last photo:

Those systems have garnered more than their share of similar complaints. My father and a good friend have had similar experiences with '94 and '92 Suburbans, respectively. Hard stop, pedal vibrates, pedal goes to the floor, truck keeps careening down the street. My friend's was stopped by the car ahead of him, Dad was luckier. Both worked normally in easy stops, before and after. I understand all of the above symptoms are to be expected, except for the careening thing. Chevy dealers said nothing is wrong. I personally feel the careening part is terribly wrong. Neither got fixed, my friend's got sold and Dad rarely drives his any more.

On the other hand, I played with the ABS in my '96 Eldorado first chance I got, and it seems to work pretty well in the rain. Haven't tried it in the dry, but the brakes are pretty impressive just in regular mode.
Old 02-02-2007, 07:47 AM
mostly confused

Last journal entry:
Last photo:

some of the best abs I have seen to date is the dodge sprinter van,formerly sold under the freightliner badging (really a Mercedes Benz). It encompasses traction control, anti-lock brakes and has a yawl sensor. Yawl sensor is for if you corner to fast and it senses the vehicle may be about to roll, it will take corrective actions by applying the brakes on whichever wheel is needed to maintain vehicle control. The 2.8l turbo diesel is pretty peppy so if you're on the gas pedal hard and it sees the rear wheels breaking loose it will derate slightly and pulse the brakes to the spinning wheel . and if you have to make an emergency stop you had better have your seat belt on and hope no one is tailgating, this thing will stop on a dime and give 9cents change. Brian

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.