Hot Rod Forum banner

94 gmc sierra

4K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Crosley 
#1 ·
Hi All
I have a 94 Gmc sierra pickup I am rebuliding for my son
I'm in the midst of building a 350 for it. Problem I have is I know the transmission (4L60E) is weak and I have a 4L60 form a 91 sierra. I was wondering if its possible to use the 4L60 as a replacement. I have the entire 91 truck for parts but need a little advice if this is a reasonable tranny to use or if i need to go shopping for a 4L60E

Thanks In advance
Spydi

#2 ·
94 gmc

Do you guys have emissions inspections up there in Canada?

See down here in Virginia you may not be able to take an electronically controlled transmission out of a vehicle and replace it with a non electric unit, doing that may be considered an emissions violation and may subject the "guilty" party to some hefty fines.

The computer controls the shift scheduling and pressure control in the 4L60E, so installing a trans out of a 91 truck, which uses a TV cable and relies on the computer for lockup, will present some problems.

Is there a problem with the 4L60E that is in the truck now?

And by the way, the 4L60[700R4] and the 4L60E are the same basic trans, less the electronics.

#3 ·
94 gmc

the emissin testing is limited up here but i still have to go thru the exhaust e-test once every 2 yrs. The original transmission is slipping when you put it down in 1 or 2 but drives fine in normal drive position so I am assuming its gonna leave me sitting somewhere at some point. so in theory i could take the electronics off the 4L60E and put them in the 4L60 or is that too much of a pain in the arse?

Thanks for the quick reply

#4 ·
spydi said:
the emissin testing is limited up here but i still have to go thru the exhaust e-test once every 2 yrs. The original transmission is slipping when you put it down in 1 or 2 but drives fine in normal drive position so I am assuming its gonna leave me sitting somewhere at some point. so in theory i could take the electronics off the 4L60E and put them in the 4L60 or is that too much of a pain in the arse?

Thanks for the quick reply

the internal hard parts are similar from the 4L60 to the 4L60E.. the v-body and case are completely different. They can not be interchanged.

:cool:

Sell off some of the parts truck and have a proper rebuild on the 4L60E trans is a thought.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.