94 silverado motor swap - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2011, 11:36 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

94 silverado motor swap

i am in the process of putting a different motor in my truck..the old one had 200000+ miles on it....the other motor i have is a 350 crate motor but is carb and older will the blocks work if i use the heads and intake off my original motor....the crate motor is the 10066036 or something to that affect and its the mexican made 4 bolt with 2 piece rear main....ive done some research on it and it has the dipstick on the drivers side (which means its a 79 and older??) which is opposite of my motor so is this gonna be a problem?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2011, 11:44 AM

First the engine in your truck it was classified as the 5.7 right? I kinda don't understand your question to clear sorry I'm a lil slow.. Your 200,000 mile engine should be t.b.i.? Is this right? And your wanting to convert the crate engine you have that is carb. to the throttle body?? As far as the dipstick on the oppisite side should not be a problem...just need a lil clarification on your question....
Old 11-15-2011, 11:56 AM

Ok I think I understand now...lol sorry. Yes the heads off the 5.7 will work on the older block..I would have the re-worked and new everything be I Installed it.. And does the crate motor have a factory grind type cam? If you have a custom grind on the cam, you will probably experience problems with the T.B.I.. And of course this is only my opinion.. someone please correct me if I'm wrong
Old 11-15-2011, 12:15 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketterer87
i am in the process of putting a different motor in my truck..the old one had 200000+ miles on it....the other motor i have is a 350 crate motor but is carb and older will the blocks work if i use the heads and intake off my original motor....the crate motor is the 10066036 or something to that affect and its the mexican made 4 bolt with 2 piece rear main....ive done some research on it and it has the dipstick on the drivers side (which means its a 79 and older??) which is opposite of my motor so is this gonna be a problem?
TBI is unhappy with cams that are different, this is a risk with any crate motor not specifically sold as a TBI replacement. This can get you into a cam change to match the original engine or a chip change to the computer to get it to work with a different cam as long as the cam isn't too different. The limit is about 190-210 degrees of duration at .050 inch lift and not more than .43 inch lift at the valve. This can be done on a 300 dollar chip beyond this timing it gets really expensive before it becomes technically impossible to feed meaningful information to the computer from the sensors.

A two piece rear seal crank uses a different bolt circle than the one piece seal engine you have, this means you will have to obtain an older pre 1986 flexplate or flywheel to adapt the crankshaft to what ever the transmission is.

If the crate motor has a water pump, it will be the clockwise rotation pump for V-belts. Your engine uses the counterclockwise rotation pump for serpentine belt drive. The crate engine will either have to have all the accessory drives currently on the truck converted to Vbelt drive or the crate motor water pump replaced with the serpentine drive pump.

Lots of people get stung thinking they can save a few bucks by using these older design engines as a replacement for the newer computer managed single piece rear seal engines. GM doesn't make it clear that there are a lot of subtle, and not so subtle, changes beside the crank seal that makes crossing this line in either direction more complicated and expensive that it appears. The dip stick position is the least of your worries.

Bogie
Old 11-15-2011, 12:32 PM

I planned on reusing all the accessories off my original motor so the water pump won't be a problem....so as far as this being a good idea it's sounding like it won't....i have heard from alot of people I talked to that I shouldnt have a problem switching the blocks as long as I swap over the heads and intake.... But with the cam situation I'll find the specs on it cause it's a stock cam and cross check them with the tollerences u gave me...appreciate the help and any additional info is much appreciated....o and the motor came with a flywheel and starter...is there anything else I need to check??
Old 11-17-2011, 05:27 PM

Last photo:

The specs for the cam in the Goodwrench crate engine are right in the range that Bogie suggested.
Cam Lift: .383 Intake / .401 exhaust
Cam Duration @ .050: 194 deg. Intake / 202 deg. Exhaust
Lobe Separation: 112 Degree

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.