Hot Rod Forum banner

'95 cougar

5K views 13 replies 3 participants last post by  Landshark928 
#1 ·
I found a '95 cougar with a 4.6L v8 for pretty cheap and im thinking of buying it. I was wondering, is it the same 4.6L thats in a mustang? Im thinking of modding it for drag racing, like maybe getting some performance cams, new rear end, slicks. Has anyone seen or heard of a cougar of this year used for drag racing? Any help is appreciated.

#2 ·
It will be a windsor or a Romeo VIN code " 6" or "W". Check both cars for that . Their isnt much difference,but I never swapped one for the other so I dont know how much different they really are.
If they are both the same VIN code they will swap straight across,the only exception I believe would be upper intake and exhaust manifolds if any.

#4 ·
I am sure you can get carbed intake setups and all for this engine, but your gonna spend some Dolla.$$$$
How much more power you want? you should look into larger T body and injectors and a tuner program to enhance performance

#6 ·
You could try a dual Cat Back exhaust, you could probably get that for 300 bucks
A K+N or air raid filter charger is good for a few horses
Trouble is, bolt on stuff like that is only going to give a small increase in horsepower.
To get a sustantial gain in horsepower you need to build up the motor ..like cams, bigger injectors, t body dual exhaust with headers, tweek the software.
A nitrous setup will give you the biggest bang for the buck, but it costs more than 300 bucks.

#11 ·
#14 ·
The craigslist listing has been flagged. May have been a scam.

On any muscle car there is little you can do for $300. The best use of that kind of budget is to get everything working right to begin with. New plugs, filters, oil, set timing, clean injectors, brake pads etc..

Then start thinking about going faster. Exhaust will give the most benefit IMO. Headers and dual exhaust with an X or H pipe. Then, as mentioned above, larger TB and bigger injectors with better intake if needed. Many stock intakes perform as well as those trendy cold air intakes.

The cheapest way to go faster is a small nitrous hit. The ML1000 kit from NX is under $400 and goes from 50HP up to 250HP. Most stock engines can handle a 100HP shot with out having to change things too much.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.