Hot Rod Forum banner

95 Dakota 2.5L 4cyl. Runs Rough Help!

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  TT66' 
#1 ·
Engine runs fine for 30 seconds then check engine light comes on and loses power, runs rough and wants to die. As soon as you shut it down let it cool off, then start it backup same deal happens. All things temp. , oil press., charging system all appear normal during all this. Any ideas where to start looking or give in and find someone with scanner? Also, how do you reset the computer? Just by unhooking battery cable?
Any suggestions? :( Can anyone help?
Thanks,
TT66'

#4 ·
I haven't checked the fuel pressure, but i took the converter completely off and by passed it. If you keep the RPM'S up it will run longer without cutting out, but when you let off to idle it it starts running rough. The only way to keep it running is to pump the gas, but it will eventually stall. According to the readout that flashes on the speedometer it's#34 which say's it is either the speed control vacuum or vent control solenoid circuits. It doesn't have cruise control so that rules out the speed control vacuum. I found out that the vent control solenoid controls the vacuum from the fuel cannister to the throttle body. I swapped out 3 different control solenoids and that make any difference. I also checked every vacuum line on the engine with a vacuum pump and found no leaks. I didn't the lines running to the gas tank, but there all metal running from the engine back to the tank.I had a busted head gasket before this all started and antifreeze got into the muffler and exhaust system and it wouldn't hardly run.That's why im wondering if the computer needs reset. Ive had the battery unhooked several times and it don't seem to make any difference. I haven't worked on the newer computerized dodges any and if I get this one running it will be the last one I ever own or work on. Any info you can give me will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time and interest.

#6 ·
Is this thing blowing black smoke out the tail pipe? How much coolant went into the exhaust system? The oxygen sensor has more than likely failed due to coolant contamination, I would start by replacing the oxy sensor. Also check your vacuum going to the MAP (manifold Air Pressure) sensor. Try running it with this sensor unplugged. Are you sure it is a code # 34 that is flashing on the dash?

Steve

#7 ·
1931 steve said:
Is this thing blowing black smoke out the tail pipe? How much coolant went into the exhaust system? The oxygen sensor has more than likely failed due to coolant contamination, I would start by replacing the oxy sensor. Also check your vacuum going to the MAP (manifold Air Pressure) sensor. Try running it with this sensor unplugged. Are you sure it is a code # 34 that is flashing on the dash?

Steve

These are prone to MAP problems, as well as wiring gremlins. This might help...

ALLDATA said:
Circuit K6 splices to supply 5 volts to the throttle position sensor.

Circuit K4 splices to supply ground for the signals from the following:

Heated oxygen sensor
Distributor Pick-up coil
Throttle position sensor
Manifold absolute pressure sensor
Engine coolant temperature sensor
Throttle body temperature sensor

I got the MAP diagnostic charts off ALLDATA, and uploaded them. HTH

Freak

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.