95 dodge 318 oil pressure issue? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2011, 12:36 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

95 dodge 318 oil pressure issue?

I have a 95 dodge ram van with a 318 it has 140000 miles on it.

whats happening is it intermitenly loses oil pressure I had it sitting at my shop for about alittle over a yr but recently put her back on the road

what happens is you can drive all day one 100-200 miles it fine then for no known reason the presure will drop to zero if you pull over and shut her off wait a minute or soo restart and the pressure will come back.

I have flushed the oil three times in the last month the first 2 flushes there was a large amount gunk

this truck was primarly drive by my wife she used to go no more than afew miles and shut it off

could it be the presure bypass in the pump hanging up, oil pooling in vally due to gunk blocked returns what do you guys think it baffles me the oil level right up there she not running hot

I thought it was a bad pressure switch but if I ignore it and keep driveing the lifters start ticking and also during the oil changes I found no glitter or signs of metal.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2011, 02:03 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Use a premium filter, NAPA Gold (Wix) or equivalent.
Old 05-21-2011, 06:22 AM

Last photo:

I have owned four of those old Dodges. One bought new. Great trucks but. They all have the same problem at 140-170 thousand miles.

The oil pump pick up is very small and a fine screen that gets plugged with deposits and oil film slime. This causes intermittant oil pressure problems. Guage drops to zero while driving. Then reads OK at other times.

The cure is to drop the oil pan and spray out the pickup screen with brake Kleen and clear "goodies" out the screen.
The bearings etc. will look like new..

My first encounter of this problem was. One of my many Dodge 1500 trucks was a 96 "Indy 500". Bought new, well maintained and a very reliable, comfortable truck.

I bought an "Ebay" vehicle in Boston Ma. So I hooked up the trailer and headed across Mich-Canada. To New York and across to Mass.

About half way across Canada. The oil pressure went to zero. D-A-M-N! I checked all the wiring and the engine wasn't noisy. So I limped into the next town. Got a room and figured I'd fix it in the morning.

Next morning. Fired right up and all is normal. IT FIXED ITSELF!! Yeah, right, Almost to the Canada New york border. Oil pressure goes to zero. I stop at Niagra Falls Auto Zone. Absolutely no parts for a Dodge 360. I get back in the truck . Starts and runs like new.

Drive to the car pickup place. Five miles out of Boston. The pressure goes to zero again. Limp into the sellers house. Lifters rattling and sounding bad. Limp to a motel. Just down the street is a Dodge dealer.

Next morning. The thing fires up. Sounds like a new engine. I start back to Michigan. About halfway across the New York thru-way. The oil press goes away again. I say F--kit and keep on driving. Keeping the revs as low as possible. Listning to the lifters. All the way across Canada and into Michigan. Got home very late at night. Next morning the thing sounded like new. On so it went untill I pulled the pan. Looking for the worst. Finding only a plugged screen. The same problem has appeared on the other three Dodge pickups.
Old 05-21-2011, 07:02 AM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

Gunk

I had same problem with a 73 Dodge charger 318 I bought off a lady that sat beside her garage for almost a year. The oil problem started on the 50 mi. trip home with it. The lifters started ticking pretty good and the temp started to go up over normal. I limped into a parts store and bought a Qt. can of Rislone. Before I left the lady's house I checked the oil and it was down about 3/4 of a qt. and had planed to stop and get some oil anyway so I knew it could take another Qt. ok. I put it in, started it and it ran fine the rest of the way home. I ran the oil like that for another 50 mi. the next day, and changed the oil 5 qt. and filter and never had another problem with it for 2 more yeas until I sold it. I have to give credit to the Rislone additive as it cleaned a lot of goo out of the engine. It's good stuff so give it a try.

Add 1 Qt. drive it 50-100 mi and change the oil while it's still warm. Like Tech 1 says, use a good filter Like Napa gold or Wix with 10-30 or 10-40 and be sure to check or replace the PCV valve and any breather filters to provide good ventilation for the crankcase.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.