95 lt1 upgrade - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2012, 04:29 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

95 lt1 upgrade

hey im about to start messing around with my 95 trans am 6-speed. its bone stock i was just wondering if anyone could tell me about how much more power and torque i would have and how noticable it would be driving it. just really wanting to no if all of this is worth doin or am i just wasting my time. here is a list of things i plan to do
4.10 gears
shorty headders
k&n cold air intake
short throw shifter
adjustable fuel pressur reagulator
zoom clutch

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2012, 12:06 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,146 Times in 945 Posts
I predict that if you put the gears in the rear and upgrade the rear suspension, wheels and tires, that you won't need anything up front. If you can't put longtube, tuned headers on it, don't bother with those cheezy, Fosdick shorties. Just do the rear.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:35 PM
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel

Last wiki edit: How to find cheap parts
Last journal entry: Found an LQ9 today
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 16

Agreed; start with the rear. You might not need anything else.

It should be 275hp from the factory. cold air and long-tube headers will probably get you 15-20 more hp. The fuel pressure regulator won't do anything for power unless you need more fuel. Since you're not changing heads or cam, no real benefit. If you turn up the pressure, the computer will just compensate by reducing the amount of time the injectors are open.

The short throw shifter is a nice upgrade for shift feel at the expense of a little more noise getting transmitted up the shifter, but it won't help you go faster... but they sure do feel nice

Edit: one more thing. If you upgrade suspension and tires (or do anything to gain traction like wide sticky tires) you seriously risk blowing the stock rear axle to bits. Its a 7.5/7.625" ring gear and the main reason they survive behind LT1s and LS1s is because the cars don't get much traction. Case in point; my buddy and I put an LS1 in his 84 Trans Am. He got some sticky tires to try to get it to grip, and the first time he popped the clutch, the force ripped the bolts out of the differential and the ring gear was sticking out through the cover.

Adding 20 hp won't cause it to explode, but if you decide to get it up in the 350 hp range with a manual tranny, and if you punish it, it will not last long.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:11 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

im not gonna be putting wide sticky tires on the back the only thing im gonna do to the tires is get a set of corvette zo6 wheels witch they are wider in the back but if im not mastakin they are only 10.5 wide in the back not to much bigger. and the reagulator i have to get one any way so i figured why not but if its not gonna be any better i might not worry with it. and i migh wait on the headders also bc i dont have the money to run a custom exhust system. but with the gears, cold air intake and new clutch it should boost it up alittle.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.