95 Silverado TBI swap to 427 TBI - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2011, 09:57 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

95 Silverado TBI swap to 427 TBI

Hey guys, I have my 95 Silverado with a 350 TBI and I want to swap it for a 427. I know in the 88 to 95 top kicks and kodiaks they had 427's with TBI. I was wondering if the computer would read the same for fuel and if the mounts would be the same. The computer in these trucks don't do much since its basically carbuerated, but i still dont want to go from fuel injection to carbueration. Let me know what you guys think

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2011, 11:58 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

The 427 used in trucks is a tall deck. It uses 4 ring pistons that are very heavy. These engines are used for high torque work horse engines. Since the tall deck sits higher and you want to swap it the biggest thing you`ll run into is headers, you likely won`t find any that will fit. I would think the computers would be different as a big blocks breathing will be considerably different than a small blocks. Far as I know the big block will drop right on the small block mounts but that could cause another problem with pieces making contact. The big block mounts sit lower than the small block mounts do and this was done for additional clearance. I don`t know if your wanting to do this to make it a high torque towing beast or performance. If it`s for towing and you can get the exhaust worked out on it, it`ll tow almost anything you want it to, if it`s for performance don`t waste your time.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:43 AM

I understand what your saying, but the 427 my friend has for me is not out of a truck...I guess what i'm asking is could i take the intake off of one out of a truck and use it one this 427 so I could keep the TBI. The one my friend has is built with a roller rocker set up and and cam...not sure what size. I also need to know if the bell housing for the transmission is the same. I'm not sure what year vehicle my friends 427 came from...all I know is that it came out of a car and is a performance one...not all torque like the ones in the newer trucks
Old 04-14-2011, 09:48 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

Far as I know very little between the tall deck and low decks interchange. You can order a carb to TBI adapter that will take care of the problem.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:54 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chupp
Hey guys, I have my 95 Silverado with a 350 TBI and I want to swap it for a 427. I know in the 88 to 95 top kicks and kodiaks they had 427's with TBI. I was wondering if the computer would read the same for fuel and if the mounts would be the same. The computer in these trucks don't do much since its basically carbuerated, but i still dont want to go from fuel injection to carbueration. Let me know what you guys think
The TBI computer won't just understand the displacement change, it uses a map of throttle position to manifold vacuum to RPMs for it's basic calculation of how much air is going through the engine, thus how much fuel to add. Since fuel pressure is always constant the computer takes the air flow calculation and uses it to determine how long the injector is held open against the closed time (duty cycle) to supply the correct amount of fuel.

The TBI is very sensitive to manifold vacuum which means it doesn't take kindly to cam timing or valve lift changes. If the 427 cam is very similar to the 350 cam you might be able to get away with just adjusting the regulator pressure to add enough fuel to make up the 77 cubic inch difference. If this doesn't cover the fuel schedule adequately than a new chip will have to be programmed and installed for the changes. See these people in that case: http://www.tbichips.com/

Another issue you can address if you want is that the 350 TBI delivers about 420 CFM which is a little shy for a 427. The 454 engine used a 670 CFM unit and Holley sells a similar sized unit new. If you're going to make this change you need to do it before the chip is bought or the bigger TBI will cost another chip to tune, if fuel pressure adjustments don't take care of it.

Bogie

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.