Hot Rod Forum banner

95 Taurus AXOD-metric/AX4S broken pump shaft

2K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  60smotorhead 
#1 · (Edited)
Taurus trans died when backing out of driveway - no noise, just sounded like it would if I'd I knocked it into neutral. Found the pump shaft had broken. I'd read much about bad shafts and searched for what it looked like - never found a photo, so put one here.

The car has 93K on it. I've changed fluid twice since I bought it with 14K in 96. There's only been typical deposits in pan, and I saw similar on bottom of side cover/in lowest gallery of chain cover. Never any metal shavings anywhere. Fluid may be darker than new, but not brown - doesn't smell burnt.

About a year ago, the trans started not shifting (as if in neutral) into 2nd when cold (winter in CA), then did same during normal weather when first started in morning. About 4 months ago, when first started, there'd be an occasional "scratching on metal" sound coming from the transmission (was hard to tell with ear, but I could feel vibes on pan). I've read of both issues on other forums, but no answers. And once in a while it feels like it "goes into neutral" when making slow, tight left turns (I always thought this was fluid sloshing around/moderately clogged screen, but saw it in a list of Taurus symptoms [corrected with a Transgo kit]).

The break looks clean, but metal had to come off and go somewhere. The shaft often wears at the bushing point (at right side in photo) but this one looks okay, so bushing is probably good. I don't want to put a lot into it, but want to clean the valve body and look at the pump (hopefully I'd get any metal pieces out of it - seems fluid would stop as soon as shaft broke and not flow much further).

Does anyone know a good source for this shaft/other parts? I read no shafts are any better than original, but see them from $17 on Ebay to $95 for an OEM, with about $36 as typical. I want to get pump, VB, and side cover gaskets (not sure if I should get the whole bonded plate/gaskets or just gaskets - plate assy costs more, but saves cleaning, and one place said it eliminates chance of blowout [is this a problem?]

Any other helpful advice is appreciated. There is a lot on the inet about these. One site seemed very good (can't post link, google this and it's the first hit, 145 pgs):
ATRA-AX4S-Rebuild (Ford FWD).pdf
and it's also a book
ATRA
It talks about drilling holes in valve body, separator plate, etc which I'm not sure I want to do... (it's been working okay - doesn't seem like bad lubrication would cause the shaft to break), but I do want to take the VB/pump apart and check/clean it.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Replaced pump shaft and worn main regulator boost valve/sleeve with Sonnax parts and car runs/shifts good again - though when cold, the 1-2 shift is a bit harsh, where it slipped/flared/wouldn't go into 2nd before - hopefully something is a bit sticky and will wear in. Curious if fluid drains from somewhere in valve body (after car sits overnight) and causes this.

Didn't find any metal fragments in pump/valve body from broken shaft.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.