96 to 00 BBC Question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2006, 07:58 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

96 to 00 BBC Question

I'm thiking of trying a 96 to 00 BBC in a 72 chevy p/u, can any one tell me the pros and cons ? so are the 96 to 00 BBCs factory surpenteen belt setup reverse rotation ? will my old v belt bracket setup like whats on my 72 SBC fit the 96 and newer BBCs ? so can I get the old V Belt setup to work on the 96 to 00 BBC ? now I'm just wondering how much money it would take to get the complete factory brackets and ps pump and the ac pump and the alt and the serpentine belt setup 4, anyone know ? will the late model BBC serpentine belt setup work with a 96 to 00 block with some 70s BBC heads on it ?

thanks a lot

Mustangsaly

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2006, 06:02 AM
Hammer and a torch

Last photo:

All your old brackets should fit the new engine but you will have to use a correct rotation pump which should also be a short pump... Most anything with a serpentine setup is reverse rotation... Also I think the Gen IV heads will work on the Gen VI block...? (dont qoute me on this...?) I know for sure the Gen VI heads will work on any Gen IV or V... Brackets should also be no problem bolt holes are the same...
Old 02-19-2006, 02:05 PM

Last photo:

bmpstick,

thanks. I was wondering if running the serpentine belt setup and the factory gen VI BBC p/s pump an alt and a/c pump ect. I guess all the factory stuff on the gen VI BBC motor (if all this is cost effective) is good idea in my 72 chevy p/u ? (if it's not cost effective, I will run my v belt setup off my 72 SBC motor) I want A round 500 to 550hp OUTA this GEN VI BBC. I thought I read where the Gen VI BBC crank and rods are ok 4 this, but would need different pistons and heads (plus cam/valve train, intake carb distributor headers ect.) is this correct ? or what do I need for a goal of 550HP ?

anything else I should know ?

Mustangsaly
Old 02-19-2006, 06:54 PM

Last photo:

any input is good input

ooh, I think I found a set of # 049s or 781s for $150 I offerd $100 time will tell

Thanks

Mustangsaly
Old 02-19-2006, 08:27 PM
Hammer and a torch

Last photo:

The pistons for sure and most likely the heads, those 049`s and 781`s with larger valves are hard to beat for a street/strip app... Also I would look to the idea of a hyd roller setup since the block is already setup for it...? Add the Performer RPM airgap with good carburation and a nice MSD and 500HP should be a snap...
Old 02-20-2006, 06:16 PM

Last photo:

so is $150 to much for BBC Heads (I'm Not sure if they have harden seatsor not) there is 2 sets of 049s and 2 sets of 781s from the same guy, they need to go to the machine shop ?

Thanks

Mustangsaly
Old 02-20-2006, 07:03 PM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangsaly
so is $150 to much for BBC Heads (I'm Not sure if they have harden seatsor not) there is 2 sets of 049s and 2 sets of 781s from the same guy, they need to go to the machine shop ?

Mustangsaly
$150 sounds like a mega-bargain to me. I kinda fell like I got "sucked in" on a deal recently, mostly due to my own indecisiveness.

I had just missed a "deal" on a pair of 781's in Calgary. The ad claimed that he had spent $800 on them and was looking for $400.

Then I found a guy (on racingjunk.com) that had 3 sets of heads for sale ... all at the same price: $380/pr. ($380 USD = $463.84 CAD) One of these sets were closed chamber with large oval ports (#3904390) , and at that time I was pretty sure that's what I wanted.

He mentioned that he worked at a machine shop and could replace guides, grind valves & seats and assemble for $200 more ... which I agreed to.

Then I decided to go with some lower-compression 781's instead ... just in case I want to run one of those Weiand street blowers a little later on.

The total bill was to be $656 US or $752.82 CDN (including prepaid shipping). I received an e-mail stating that shipping cost more than he was quoted, and that he would "appreciate" being re-imbursed.

You know, I may have been more understanding if they hadn't showed up at my door with another $90.00 for Customs / Duty fees ...

~= $850.00/pr CDN ... Cha-ching! Edelbrock aluminum ones are how much?

I was at a swap meet in Lethbridge, AB last weekend and saw a set for $250.00. Let me tell you that it's not a pretty sight to see a grown man cry.

Buy them.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.