96 blazer fuel pump - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2006, 07:25 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

96 blazer fuel pump

I'm getting some hesitation with my 96 blazer and i'm pretty sure its my fuel pump. When i went under my vehicle to take the cover off my gas tank i notice that under the rear bumper gaurd there is a sqaure box about 10" by 10" with the fuel lines from the gas tank going into it. What exactly is this box and what does it do and is there anything in there that can be causing my problems? I changed a fuel pump in my 97 blazer last year and i did not see anything like this in that blazer. The only differance between the two is one is a four door and this one is a 2 door. Thanks to anyone that can help me with this.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2006, 07:31 PM
Hammer and a torch

Last photo:

That sounds like the vapor canister which has charcoal in it to absorb the fuel vapors for recovery back into the system...

The hesitation you mention could be from other possible problems...? Might consider having it scanned with a good quality scanner...? Also time since it was last tuned up...? Fuel pumps normaly show up as a complete failure situation but they sometimes still run and cause a loss of power under demand... Or even hard starting...
Old 11-10-2006, 07:52 PM

Last photo:

Thanks, it was just tuned up recently i figured its the fuel pump because its doing the same thing as my other one did it kind of struggles to get up too speed. The only differance my other one did have the hard starting problem this one doesent but i will scan it to check for any codes.
Old 11-10-2006, 07:53 PM
Sled Head

Last photo:

I agree with bumstick, although a scanner wont do you any good if you are not getting a check engine light. The fuel pump is a go/no go item. Hesitation or loss of power (especially in the top end) can be a result of the fuel filter being clogged or possible electrical.
Old 11-10-2006, 08:00 PM

Last photo:

Actually just changed the fuel filter made the problem worse it seems. I had a couple fuel pumps that took a while to go before they finally totally quit. My Grand Am i used to be able to boot the bottom of the tank with the ignition on to get it going. The vehicle has over a 150 thousand miles on it and i wouldent doubt its the original pump.
Old 11-10-2006, 08:26 PM
Hammer and a torch

Last photo:

Back to the scanner suggestion it may show lean codes on the O2 sensors...

That would most likely give you a for sure idea...
Old 11-10-2006, 08:38 PM
Sled Head

Last photo:

Thinking deeper, i guess there is a reason they sell rebuild kits for my holley elec fuel pump. it possibly could be a worn out pump with that many miles. But not very common. The black box does sound like a vapor recovery cannister.
Old 11-10-2006, 09:46 PM

Last photo:

Very interesting i have no check engine light on but i scanned and got 2 codes. A P0102 code which is the masf sensor i beleive that is between the air cleaner and the throttle body. The other one is a P0440 code which i looked up it seems to be a evap cannister? Is that the cannister behind my bumper end with the fuel lines going to it? And what would be the problem with that it?
Old 11-10-2006, 10:00 PM
Sled Head

Last photo:

Well, I learn something new everyday! I have never known a code to show w/o the check engine light ever flashing (or has it ever?) Evap canister is just supposed to absorb the fuel vapors before they vent to the atmosphere, so I am not sure what the prob could be there. Please keep us posted, Im curious.
Old 11-10-2006, 10:07 PM

Last photo:

Ya i will have to do some more research on that P0440 code but i'm sure it said something about a evap cannister. I used to get a check engine light long time ago i'm wandering if the bulb just burnt out.
Old 11-10-2006, 10:18 PM
Hammer and a torch

Last photo:

Bulb may be burnt...? But on the evap code its more than likely the valve that is in the can setup... Most of the time we also found the fuel cap was bad... (normaly said small evaporative leak)

The other could be your real problem... If the MAF is bad then for sure driveability will suffer...
Old 11-10-2006, 10:28 PM

Last photo:

The bulb for my check engine light it does not come on but i have codes stored when i scan. Do i just change this maf sensor or its just the part thats between the air cleaner and the throttle body i beleive or is there something i can try before changing the sensor? Thanks you guys are a lot of help.
Old 11-10-2006, 10:44 PM
Drive it like a rental!

Last photo:

96 Blazer

Throwing parts at the Blazer will be expensive, especially a MAF. You are better off to find the diagnostic chart for your codes and follow them through. Problem could be wiring or something else. Your check engine light should be on with the key on, engine off - this lets you know the bulb is working.

Good luck,
Rick
Old 06-07-2009, 10:04 AM

Had the same exact problem with my blazer.It turned out that the rubber vacuum lines had become brittle and cracked.After spending too much money chasing codes and doing a Mass Air sensor the cheap new rubber hoses fixed all the codes and problems.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:53 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

I doubt your issue is the fuel pump or the canister. The MAF code makes sense with the symptoms you have given. It sounds like a fuel or air metering problem to me. Sometimes the MAF wires can be cleaned, you need to be careful you dont break them. A lot of vehicles will run with the MAF disconnected, it will go into a limp home mode an control fuel without the MAF.

Chet

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.