96 Blazer Overhead Console Temperature Indication - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2002, 02:44 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post 96 Blazer Overhead Console Temperature Indication

Anybody out there know how the ambient temperature is sensed in the GM vehicles (e.g., 96 Blazer) and how it is wired to the interior overhead console temperature indicator?. I can get a hold of an excellent used overhead console but it is minus the sensing and wiring equipment upstream of the console. What the heck am I doing with this 96 Blazer overhead console???? Well guess what....this type of overhead console fits the interior roof line of my 69 454 impala almost perfectly. Looks great too.....thanks in advance. Scott

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2002, 10:30 PM

Yes scott I know how they work but the bad news is you have to use the computer. Find something else that will fit the hole. Or mabe even put switchs in the hole. You might be able to find a after market unit that doe's not use a computer. In the factory unit the sensor is in the grill. ROY
Old 01-04-2002, 05:48 AM

Roy thanks for the response. I was hoping that the computer was not involved in this circuit. I basically have access to a complete Blazer parts vehicle, which still has the computer in it. On a scale of 1 to 10, how hard would it be to transplant the computer just for the purposes of supporting the console temp indication. Scott
Old 01-04-2002, 11:26 PM

Scott you could use the computer system to do many cool things on your car. Because you have the whole system you could even with a little trouble fuel inject your car. That system will do a bunch of stuff if you want to. ROY
Old 01-11-2003, 04:59 AM

Actually, all you have to do is get the temp sensor from a GM dealer..($19.00). Wire the the light green w/strip to the light green w/stripe on the display, then black wire to ground..Mount the sensor on the radiator support. Then for the computer, wire the dark green w/ white wire to the VSS.. The localtion is in the engine compartment, passenger side.. The connector is marked BLACK..It's on top. It's a 24 pin connector, splice into wire 3 (Look at the connector for the numbers)... Wire both blacks to ground. Now behind your radio you will see a set of wires... Wire Gray to gray, green to green, and purple w/white stripe to purple w/ white stripe.... Test, mount, enjoy... I've put several of these in...
Old 01-11-2003, 09:13 PM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

rlith, that needs to be archived somewhere around here. I would also like to have one wired into my truck. And 454 I also would like to get my hands on one of those consoles. I really liked the one in our '96 Blazer. I don't know if you have ever owned a '96 but the temp unit is also a compass. You really look like an idiot setting the direction correctly. Seriously, you have to drive around in circles three times before it sets correctly. Best thing to do is find a vacant lot somewhere so people don't ask questions.
Old 01-11-2003, 11:30 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Should we move this post to the Knowledge base?

I think so.
Old 01-12-2003, 03:26 AM

Last photo:

4 Jaw, before moving the post, Let make sure everything that was said works frist.

Just a thought
Old 01-12-2003, 10:05 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Of course.

Who can verify this for us?
Old 05-24-2003, 10:14 PM

I believe that the astrovan, jimmy, and blazer overhead console are basicaly the same. Information on install can be found at
http://www.hail.org/2tech/vancons/index.htm

The ambient temp sensor is : Part# 15971127 (~$12)

I have an overhead console that has a differnt compas/temp wiring and am looking for information on it if you have any.

this is what I have..
9-pin (8-wire) connector

(1)emerald green
(2)black w/ white stripe
(3)dark green w/ white stripe
(4)lime green w/ black stripe
(5)grey
(6)purple w/ white stripe
(7)(empty)
(8)orange
(9)yellow

thanks for any info... j.dirt@verizon.net
Old 12-03-2003, 10:28 PM

Blazer console

I realize it is probably a little late to answer this question, but I have the notes so I'll put them up here for the next person looking to add the console...

Compatabillity: The problem is that gm switched the VSS and class 2 data signals in 97. Pre 98 oh console computers will not communicate after 30
seconds with a post 97 computer, and vice versa. If your truck is a pre 98, you need a pre 98 oh console computer, if it is a post
97, you need a post 97 oh console computer.

Compass/ Temp gauge (with trip computer) [has buttons labled as "Met/US" and "Mode" ]

(1)emerald green 7- RAP Fuse Supply Voltage
(2)black w/ white stripe 8- Ground
(3)dark green w/ white stripe 9-VSS (Vehicle Speed Signal)
(4)light green w/ black stripe 10- Ambient Air temp Sensor **
(5)grey 11- Instrument Panel Lamp Fuse Supply Voltage
(6)purple w/ white stripe 12- LED Dimming Signal
(7)(empty) 13- *empty*
(8)orange 14-Battery Positive Voltage
(9)yellow 15- Trip computer/nav class 2 serial data link

**BEWARE! the sensor has a polarity. You'll know if its wired backwards 'cause the temp reading will be WAY off.

Compass/ Temp gauge (without trip computer) [has buttons labled "Met/US" and "Off" ]

1) dark Green 5- RAP [x] fuse Supply Voltage
2) black/White 6- Ground
3) Dk Green/White 7- VSS Signal
4) Lt Green/Black 8- Ambient Air temp Sensor
5) gray 9- Instrument Panel Lamp Fuse Supply Voltage
6) purple/white 10- LED Dimming Signal

Under Dash (drivers side) terminal (Looking at the terminal, the serial link wire is second from the left on the top. (purple)

Calibrating Compass

Find a parking lot where you can do some WIDE 360 degree circles. Heck, it'd even work to drive around the edge of a parking lot. Important thing here is you MUST be able to make at least 2-3 circles, and EACH "circle" must take at least 15 seconds or so. In other words, tire-smokin parking lot "donuts" will NOT work here, but you might do a couple anyways just cause it is fun :^)!

Once you are ready to circle, press down the "on/off" button and hold it. WHILE HOLDING THAT BUTTON, ALSO press the "US/Met" button (so you are holding down BOTH buttons) for approx 5 seconds. The display will say "var", which is your queue to set the "variance" for the compass. You set the "variance" by releasing the buttons, then hitting the "US/Met" button to scroll thru the different variances. Once you get to the correct one, hit "On/Off" to set it into the compass. A map showing the variance to be used for various geographic locations is listed below

3. Next, repeat step 2 again with the buttons, but this time hold the two buttons PAST when the word "var"
shows up, and eventually the word "cal" will light instead. Once the word "cal" comes up, start your driving in
circles. After anywhere from 1 to 3 circles, the compass will calibrate itself and the word "cal" will go out.
Once this happens, your compass is calibrated!

Copy of the variance map can be found @ http://www.hail.org/2tech/vancons/index.htm
Old 12-18-2004, 02:37 PM

hi guys I have purchased a 1997 s-10 Chevy blazer/gmc jimmy overhead console to fit in my Suzuki vitara (tracker)
will I still be able to use some of the display functions as I have no vss wires I only really need the clock but would it would be nice if I could get the compass and temp gauge to work
cheers
jay
Old 11-01-2007, 10:33 PM

Hello,

I am planning to install one of these consoles in my Land Rover Defender 110 and I am wondering about the VSS wire. Is this necessary or is there some way around it? Can I connect it to the VSS on my Defender or will the signal be different than that from a Chevy VSS? What exactly is this VSS signal used for anyway...I can't see why it is necessary to display the temp and compass.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old 03-25-2010, 12:21 PM

Last photo:

I have also wanted to puth the Chevy overhead console in my car for quite some time. My car is currently under construction. It is a 78 Dodge Magnum, former drag car. Pic below.

I am working in Utah but from Colorado where my car is located, so right now I keep collecting needed parts to complete the build. Over this past weekend I went to the local u pull it junk yard and bought an overhead console and temp sensor with some wiring from a Blazer complete for $17.00 including the digital display unit. This morning at work I did the following experiment to see if the compass and temp indicator would function properly without the VSS (Vehicle speed sensor) hooked up.

The connector to the display unit is the 6 pin, so I followed the directions in this post ot get power to the unit.

Sensor:
Light green with black to the display harness.
Black with white to ground, in this case negative side of a 12V battery.

Display:
Dark green to posative on 12V battery.
Light green with white to temp sensor.
Black with white to negative side of said 12V battery.

The unit turned on and displalyed 70 deg, F, and N/W. I held the sensor in front of a space heater for a few minutes and there was no change in the temp reading. I unplugged the sensor and then plugged it back in. The temp display went off when unpluggwed and came back on at 92 deg. F. Over the next 15 or 20 minutes the temp slowly cam down to 68 deg. F which was the correct temp in my office. I then took the whole thing outside and left it for about 30 minutes. The temp slowly came down to 53 deg. F which was the correct temperature outside.

I then put the battery, display unit, and temp sensor in my truck which was running with the heat on. Over a 30 minute period, there was no change in the temp display. It remained at 53 deg. F. At the same time I also attempted to calibrate the compass. i followed the directions above several times, but could not get the compass to calibrate. When I brought everything back to my office, the temp display slowly began to adjust daown to my office temp. The compass display will not change and the (CAL) light will not go out. I currently have the power disconnected to the unit to see if the (CAL) display will time out and go off.

My conclusion is that for both features to function, the unit needs the input from the VSS to know that the vehicle is moving. For my application, I bekive that I can get a VSS to install in my transmission where the speedo cable goes. Since I have aftermarket gauges and speedo this may work. Any other thoughts on this would be helpful. Hope this info helps some of you with questions.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.