Hot Rod Forum banner

96 chevy 4l60e

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  chevy327 
#1 ·
would any one here let me know,i had 4l60e it on 96 chevy 4x4 when i shift to 2 second grear i feel it weak but i give more power it move .other gear was fine please help

#2 ·
We need more information to offer help.

History on the trans?

Recent rebuild, high mileage, recent service work? If you have answers on those questions , it would help.

2nd gear is a band. Problems with servo seals, O-rings, worn out band, improperly setup band during a rebuild

#3 ·
4l60e

frisrt thank alot to help.
96 chevy 4x4 trans 4l60e it was rebuild by me,not even 200 mile ,i installl new rebuild kit,plus shift kit to fix faul code,it only happen in second gear look like no power to make truck move,(it only move when i give more powerfrom engine)i try to scan code it only show some engine code like p0300,p0154,p0152,nothing,about trans code,iwas remove servo piston on passenger side in 4l60e to make sure seal faul or not it look like i install rigth like on trans book,and i had new solenoid,when i rebuild,wuold you give me i deal where do start to find what wrong thanks agian,

#4 ·
Not sure I understand the problem.

IF you are talking about placing the shifter in manual 2nd gear with vehicle at a full stop.... then drive off. The GM design is the 4L60E is in 2nd gear when shifter is in manual 2nd gear position.

The trans will not take off from a full stop in first (1st) gear, then shift to 2nd while the shifter is in manual 2nd gear position

Reactions: chevy327
#6 ·
No, the trans is supposed to do that. If you are at a dead stop, and then select 2nd gear, then accelerate, the trans will be in 2nd gear unless you apply the gas to over 87.5% TPS.

Its called 2nd gear start, its to help 2wd cars and trucks get moving in teh ice and snow as it reduces engine torque to the rear tires.

Any 4l60e equipped vehicle will do this.

If you select 2nd gear at a stop, then go to WOT, the trans will downshift to 1st gear, then upshift to 2nd at the WOT upshift point, then if you continue at WOT, the engine revs will increase ntil the rev limit kicks in at 5600rpm for the Vortec 305/350 trucks.

peace
Hog

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.