96 MonteCarlo No brake lights - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2003, 09:08 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

96 MonteCarlo No brake lights

My youngest son 17 came home from school yesterday with a R&R ticket for no brake lights - the center brake light works so he never suspected a problem (he can see this light in his rear view) but the tail brake lights do not. I checked the fuses all ok replaced the stop light fuse anyway, replaces both tail light bulbs I'm sure they are ok but changed them anyway. Turn signals work Emergency flashers work, the left turn signal act a little funny blinks real fast when clicked fast into position but works fine when done nice and easy.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2003, 09:48 AM

Last journal entry: Heading home
Last photo:

brake lights

You may want to check the ground wire in the trunk. I had a 96 Impala that did the same thing. Drove me nuts. You might check the switch at the pedal it self.

With the turn signal, you may have a faulty flasher, or something at the turn signal switch.
Old 11-07-2003, 09:54 AM

I have had the same problems, what it can be caused by is jst flat out old age sometimes that wire loom that you have going back there is just so old that the wires start to break inside, and you wouldnt even know where the break would be. If i was you I would check under the dash and make sure that on the back of your light switch all the wires are coming out of there and look ok, and if that is fine just follow the wire loom threw the car back to the trunk if you spot anything like a split wire or a wire touching the frame, then that is your problem. If you still cant see anything and dont want to redo the whole wire loom just do this turn your light on and go to the back of the car and pull the bulb out of the back of the light holder and get a voltumeeter test the positive to see if any voltage is coming out of it, if there isnt then you have a problem in the loom or under the dash, kinda narrows it down doesnt it go ahead and climb under the dash and test the leads that are coming out of the light switch if there is nothing there then you must have have a broken wire near the fuse bodx, or a blown fuse. if there is voltage coming out of the leeds then you have a break in one of those wires in the loom, witch means you are going to have to rewire it yourself or get a premade loom .

let me know how it goes.
Old 11-07-2003, 01:41 PM

Last photo:

If your center brake light is working, your switch is good, like pappy said check the grounds, bulbs, sockets and wires.
Old 11-12-2003, 12:05 PM

Last photo:

You said that your rear turn signals work, but your brake lights do not, other than the one in the window. I would would say you have a problem with your turn signal switch. Brake lights to each individual side go through the T.S. switch.
This would apply to "all red" taillamps which use the same bulb for brake and turn signals, but I am not sure about those with seperate amber turn signals.

Skidmark

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.