96 Vortec V6 in fullsize truck going crazy - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2004, 04:55 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

96 Vortec V6 in fullsize truck going crazy

I have a 96 gmc 1/2 ton pickup. I recently had to change distributor on engine. i pulled disrtibutor out and marked posistion of rotoe to relation of distributor and motor. I bought new distrbutor from local parts store and stabbed in just like old one came out. The truck will not start now and instead of asking someone i tried to reset timing. i know there has to be a way to set timing again!! Someone please help me i have been working on this same issue for almost 10 hours straight. all help is appreciated!!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2004, 01:10 PM

Last journal entry: Engine Compartment
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by docvette
Doc here

To set your timing,

Compression #1 Cylinder, Timing mark on TDC, Both intake and exhaust valves Closed ,
(You should be able to rattle the rockers a little bit)
Put the cap on and locate #1 plug tower, mark the bottom of the distributor with a laundry pen.

Remove the cap and check the rotor, It should be dead on the line.

If not put it there, with the Vacuum Advance (if so equipped) in the middle of the physical limits of travel (Advance / Retard) on the line.

My Best guess is that you are outside the limits of the Advance / Retard on the distributor movement (Like 1/2 to a full tooth off on the distributor) Where where Full travel in either direction is ALMOST enough to make it run but not quite.

NEXT Check your Firing order, 1 8 4 3 6 5 7 2, Reversing 5 and 7 is common, AND does EXACTLY what your experiencing. Be sure even if you have to hand over hand the plug wires.

Fire it up, and set your initial static timing to between 8 and 10 degrees (depending on your engine) with your Vacuum advance disconnected and the line plugged.

Doc
i believe this is what you are looking for
Old 11-18-2004, 09:05 PM

Last photo:

on a v6 vortec engine, the firing order is165432. put motor on tdc on compression stroke. install dist with rotor pointing at # 1, tighten dist. disconnect est line then check with timing light. it must be on tdc or 0. reconnect est line. timing is set.
my question is why did you replace the dist.
Old 11-24-2004, 10:59 PM

hey Iono but in my s-10 i have a wire under the dash i have 2 unplug before you can time it. i think on the full-size trucks it right of the blower motor. think its white or offwhite.
Old 11-25-2004, 12:01 PM

Last photo:

Get engine at TDC compression.

Remove distributor cap.

Look at perimeter of distributor housing for the 2 little triangular shaped points. One of them is for v8 other is for v6. Sometimes there is a tiny 6 and 8 on them.

Turn housing so rotor is aligned with the correct point on distributor. Might have to pull distributor and reorient rotor.

Tighten down housing.

Reinstall cap. Be careful tightening down those little screws, its very easy to crack or strip out the holes. That plastic housing is precracked from factory I think. Some reman distributors have a little metal insert.

On a vortec all you do is set static timing. A timing light wont really help since computer is always active. If the rotor isnt aligned with that point you will get a trouble code P1345. Hope that helps you some.
Old 11-25-2004, 07:26 PM

Last photo:

there also a dimple on the distributor shaft gear and on the dist housing , you line up the dimple with the mark on the housing, then as greg latvala said, there is a small 6 for v6 engines and a 8 for v8 engines,with 1 cyclinder at top dead center install the distributor, these distributors are usually fixed (non adjustable).
on the votec v6 and v8 's the distributors are ,(cam sensors)used for fuel timing !!! the timing is done by the crank sensor on the harmonic balancer ( controled by the computer )
if the distributer is adjustible , you need a scan tool to adjust the timing, you can be out 1 or 2 degree plus or minus, any more it will put the check engine light on.
Old 11-30-2004, 01:05 AM

Thanks for all your help guys but i was doing something stupid and it really makes me feel dumb.
I kept pointing rotor towards #1 sparkplug wire when actually the node is over near where sparkplug wire #4 plugs in!! Honest mistake and i feel stupid.
The answer to the question why i replaced it cos the cam sensor went out and instead od paying $24.99 for cam sensor i used my lifetime warranty on my distributor to get a new one since new ones come with cam sensor attached. Thanks for all yalls help!!

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.