97 350 vortec install into 1981 chevy 4x4 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2005, 10:41 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

97 350 vortec install into 1981 chevy 4x4

I AM NOT SURE WHAT I NEED TO PURCHASE TO INSTALL 97 350 VORTEC MOTOR TO TRANS & TRANSFER CASE IN MY 1981 CHEVY 4X4. I HAVE A COMPLETE 97 PICKUP TO GET PARTS FROM BUT ITS NOT A 4X4. I AM NOT SURE WHAT KIND OF COMPUTER ETC. THAT I NEED TO GET OR IF THE ONE I HAVE WILL WORK. I HAVE COMPLETE 97 TRUCK(FUEL TANKS, PUMPS,SENSORS ETC.)

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2005, 10:17 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

The Vortec Will Pretty Much Bolt Right In. You Will Need To Use The Flexplate (Or Flywheel) That Came With The Vortec As All SBC's With One Piece Rear Main Seals (Also 4.3) Are Externally Balanced And The Bolt Pattern Is Also Different. Just Make Sure It Is In Good Condition Before You Go In With It! Personally I Would Rather Not Screw With The Computer And All That Especially Since You Are Retrofitting Into An Older Truck. Edelbrock Makes Intake Manifolds That Bolt Onto Vortec's And Allow The Use Of A Carburetor. Any SBC HEI Will Bolt In, (Make Sure Its A Vacuum Advanced HEI.) If You Use The Accessory Drive Belts/Pulleys/Alt./P/S Pump From The '81 (It Was SBC, Right?) You'll Need The Appropriate Water Pump. **Serpentine Belt Driven Systems Usually Use A Reverse Rotation Water Pump!** Don't Mix The Two! Also The Vortec May Or May Not Be Drilled And Tapped For A Mechanical Fuel Pump/Fuel Pump Pushrod. If It Is You Can Install A New Push Rod And Pump, Plus You Will Need That Fuel Pump Backing Plate. If Not You Will Have To Incorporate An Electric Pump And Regulator. (Most Carbs Only Need 4-6 Lbs. Pressure.) Exhaust Should Bolt Right Up. All In All A Rather Straight Up Swap. You Could Use The Vortec EFI Etc. But You Would Have To Have A High Capacity Pump And A Stand Alone Conversion Harness Among Other Things.It Can Be Done, I Wouldn't Do It. It's Hard To Beat A Well Tuned Q-Jet Or Edelbrock Equipped SBC Especially On A Dollar For Dollar Basis! MW
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.