97 Civic Alternator Q- it's my gf's so it's not my fault - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2007, 10:01 PM
Jeep XJ and a Javelin

Last wiki edit: Compression test
Last journal entry: August 9, part III
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

97 Civic Alternator Q- it's my gf's so it's not my fault

So my gf's 97 Honda civic (no pictures posted, it's just a little commuter car) has a alternator pulley that looks like somebody beat it with a hammer. It runs straight and keeps the battery charged up nicely, but the problem is on the left side of the pulley it's all chewed up, and it's chewing up the belt.

I am going to the pick-yur-part tomorrow to help my dad fix his jimmy (he went hunting before opening day) and I was wondering if it'd be better to find the civic with the fewest miles and pull the alternator and swap it out of the one in my gf's car, or to try and replace the pulley. I'm thinking the pulley will be a pain in the butt since something will need to hold the pulley in place (vise grips?) while the nut holding the pulley in place is removed, but being a smooth, round surface, vise grips wouldn't really hold all that well unless they bit in, which isn't an issue with the old chewed up pulley, but it would be with a new pulley- I wouldn't want that chewing up alternator belts!

Any ideas or input would be appreciated.
-Matt

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2007, 10:54 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

The easiest way to get the nut loose for the pulley is an impact & socket and hold the pulley by hand or you could also hold it with one of These
and then take the nut loose with ratchet and socket.
Old 09-29-2007, 11:20 PM
Jeep XJ and a Javelin

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfOunce
The easiest way to get the nut loose for the pulley is an impact & socket and hold the pulley by hand or you could also hold it with one of These
and then take the nut loose with ratchet and socket.
I wonder if a leather belt would work (like the ones typically worn with jeans, or if it'd hold with the alternator belt still attatched) Hmmm...
Old 09-30-2007, 12:30 AM
Hot rodder, not street rodder!

Last photo:

Quote:
97 Civic Alternator Q- it's my gf's so it's not my fault
It could be worse. Does she have a cat too? If so, then you must dump her.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfOunce
The easiest way to get the nut loose for the pulley is an impact & socket and hold the pulley by hand
Yep, piece of cake. Or if you're a wuss, hold it with a rag....
Old 09-30-2007, 03:28 AM

Pully

The easiest is to crack the nut before removing it from the car. The fanbelt will give more than enough grip and the rest of the alternator is bolted down so it frees up your hands to give it a good swing. Put the gearbox in top gear if the motor starts moving(manual). Dont take the nut fully off until you have released the fanbelt tension. Also remember the basic rule of pulling the spanner/socket towards yourself as you can stop the swing faster, and you are less likly to skin you knukles if it comes free in a hurry.
Old 09-30-2007, 08:18 AM
Jeep XJ and a Javelin

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notorious
It could be worse. Does she have a cat too? If so, then you must dump her.....

Yep, piece of cake. Or if you're a wuss, hold it with a rag....

her car has a new cat/o2 sensor... but not the furry little allergen spewing demon kind, that are best utilized terrorizing mice and other small animals outside.

so... are you a wuss?
Old 10-01-2007, 08:14 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbellmoa
The easiest is to crack the nut before removing it from the car. The fanbelt will give more than enough grip and the rest of the alternator is bolted down so it frees up your hands to give it a good swing. Put the gearbox in top gear if the motor starts moving(manual). Dont take the nut fully off until you have released the fanbelt tension. Also remember the basic rule of pulling the spanner/socket towards yourself as you can stop the swing faster, and you are less likly to skin you knukles if it comes free in a hurry.
Might not skin your knuckles that way but a possibility of busting yourself in the mouth lol..
Old 10-01-2007, 01:42 PM
Jeep XJ and a Javelin

Last photo:

/\I should make a new thread on this, it'd be interesting...
Old 10-04-2007, 01:37 PM
Jeep XJ and a Javelin

Last photo:

Well, we decided it'd be more economical to change the alternator pulley.. well NAPA has no record of pulley by applications, so I need to get the dimensions of the alternator pulley. If anyone knows (or could go and measure) it'd be appreciated.

Otherwise I'll try the dealership.
-Matt
Old 10-06-2007, 07:22 PM
Jeep XJ and a Javelin

Last photo:

At the dealer they want $45+ dollars for a new pulley; only place I could get just a stock type pulley (yea that's expensive)... anyways, I hope I can replace it with the alternator in car (which would simplify things a lot! Just remove wheel, splash guard, remove nut, remove belt and pulley, install pulley and belt, replace splash guard and wheel, and viola!)

Here's a vid of it running and a pic.

this is a video of it running- the noise we think is the belt/pulley... the ac pump is making an awful noise, but she didnt turn the ac on.

pic is of the pulley thats messed up- look kinda close but you can see where the pulley is chewed up.
Old 10-06-2007, 07:34 PM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Have you thought about just taking the bur off of it?
Shane
Old 10-06-2007, 07:48 PM

A file would make short work of that burr. It's hard to see the extent of the damage but there is a good chance that it doesn't go down to the V part of the pulley.

edit....yeah, what ^ said.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:29 AM
Jeep XJ and a Javelin

Last photo:

well, if it could go wrong, it did...got really upset from it all, and being late and dark I gave up...

first, I realized that there was no way in heck I'd be able to swap the pulley in-car.

second, the top alternator bolt (that adjusts tension) was a pain to get out since there's very little room between the bolt head and subframe, especially when it's almost out.

third, the lower alternator bolt (what it swivels on to adjust belt tension) is frozen stuck in there like a **internet edit ** and wouldn't budge after prying and hammering and using 'magic words' (profanity)

fourth, the threads on the lower 'bolt' (more of a stud since the end closest to the engine is a flat square) were damaged from my attempts to remove it, so the nut wouldn't go back on. I don't think my gf needs to worry about anything going wrong with the absence of a nut there, it's really rusted frozen there.

Summary:
she's going to have to go to a shop and have it done. She really can't afford it and I feel like a total loser since I've been able to do all of my own work on my cars besides new exhaust (I have it bent up, I don't buy catback systems which cost more) and alignments, then she gets this little Honda and I can't even replace the alternator pulley! AARGH!

It makes me love my Jeep- at least I know I can wrench on it reasonably easy.
-Matt
Old 10-10-2007, 10:10 AM
Auto Parts Professional

Last photo:

Correct - Jeeps ROCK!!!

I had a eclipse that I made short work of. Had to take tohe motor out of the car do do anything on it.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:56 AM

Last journal entry: Going Slow.. and steady?
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevelleSS_LS6

Summary:
she's going to have to go to a shop and have it done. She really can't afford it and I feel like a total loser since I've been able to do all of my own work on my cars besides new exhaust (I have it bent up, I don't buy catback systems which cost more) and alignments, then she gets this little Honda and I can't even replace the alternator pulley! AARGH!

-Matt
Don't give up that easy! Just take a few minutes (or hours) to cool off and relaxe your mind.. then go out there and get that thing apart! Thats what seems to work for me when there is a nearly impossible task to be done.

For the frozen bolt/nut combo, might I suggest a torch? Most of us (at least me anyway) don't have the space/funds for oxy/act torch, but one of those mapp/oxygen torchs from home depot works surprisingly well.. might be something to think about..

Just remember where theres a will theres a way.. Even if the will is a big Hammer

-Crash

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.