Hot Rod Forum banner

97 dodge ram 2500

5K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  bszovati 
#1 · (Edited)
97 dodge ram2500 just bought 3 weeks ago broke down twice ...here what happened driving to work the check engine light came on stalled out.(bout 1/2 mile from work i work at lowes) when i tryed to restart ,it ran but just barely popping out the throttle body,and wouldnt move.acted like it was not getting gas.had to wait an hr before i could get back to it put a gallon of gas in started right up drove to the station 1 mile away put 30 bucks worth in, started right up acted fine drove off and as soon as i got on the highway it did the same thing.. stalled, popping etc etc. had it towed to where i bought it they said it was a loose wire on the alarm system shorting out??? 2 days later on 295 did it again stalled for no reason this time 115 degress out and had my wife and dog with me. any ideas had it towed back this time cost me 50 bucks extra i still owe 3400 on this......... ok update they had it for 3 days had in running for 2 days idleing in lot, "cant fix whats not broken" the guy says.. fuel pump was checked,lines no leaks, no trouble codes show up,had a recent tuneup before i bought it, new wires, plugs, coil was checked,. the thing is when it stalls, by the time a tow truck gets it to a garage it starts and runs fine like nothing happened. i told them to jack the rear wheels off the ground and let it run under load.or drive it to the shore and back. this truck is like a time bomb u never know when its gonna act up again.

#4 ·
To me, this sounds like a classic case of vapour lock. The giveaway is the repeat failures on very hot days. Pump gets weak, and you run into this after a short time on the highway. And before someone chimes in and says this doesn't happen with F.I, yes it does, all the time. Hook a fuel pressure guage up to the rail, and watch the pressure as it stalls out. it will likely bounce, then drop off.

#5 ·
Don't rule out a break in the wiring somewhere. When hot, the plastic insulation gets hot, stretches and allows a break. When it cools down, the break is rejoined. I know, it's a longshot and will be difficult to find. May I suggest looking around the distributor or coil area first based on the "backfire" issue you mentioned. Good luck and let us know when you find the cure.

#6 · (Edited)
ram2500

got it back from the shop last friday they had it for a week,they said they got a code for bad misfire needs a new dist they supposedly put in a new one. picked it up ran fine i drove it 40miles round trip to and from work, and around town reg driving dam thing seemed fine.they said they put in a differnt dist did they change it? dont know cause yesterday one week later, on 295 35 miles from home it did it again. cuts out when u try to restart right away on the side of the road it will start but again 10 miles mph give or take, or less then dies compeletly. will restart again but no power, wait 1/2 hr or so and it starts up and runs fine al least this time the check engine light stayed on. could it be the on board computer it self??? i talked to the mechanic at the garage where they towed it about being the cat "nope thats not it" it wouldnt make it do that. still getting miss fire code....... im picking it up and doing it myself i guess. the thing is i put 430 miles on it since i owned, it its sees more garage time then driving time and i still owe 3400 think ill take it put in 4 wheel low and drive it right into his showroom ..dam breaks didnt work.... holy crap sorry bout that :thumbup:

#7 ·
It could be lots of things but most likely cause, with all the things they checked, is the coil is braking down, or some other part of the ignition. It should have another fuel filter not in the tank.
I guess you found out why the last guy got rid of it, pretty typical when buying a car from a lot.

#11 ·
guess its the only way to confirm it its either one or the other i guess i took the truck today ill do it myselff at least i know it will be worked on and not sitting there. got there today there was a coffe cup on the hood should tell them they owe me a paint job

#12 ·
Plug wires

I was driving on the highway and it did something similar...Come to find out, one of my plug wires was touching the exhaust manifold causing the truck to shut down...I had it towed and it cost me 150 just to tow it 10 miles to my house, what a rip!!! Just for that dumb cause... :smash: Runs great now though( knock on wood!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.