'97 F-150 4.2L to 5.4L swap? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2003, 09:12 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Question '97 F-150 4.2L to 5.4L swap?

I have a 1997 Ford F-150 with a weak 4.2L V6. I have been told that for my truck the best way to get more torque is to trash the 4.2 and swap in a 5.4 V8. This sounds great to me, since Ford has statred making so many Lightning's with the Supercharged 5.4L.

I have had no experience with working on, much less swapping out, computer controled engines. I know that I would probably need the complete engine and the wiring harness and computer from the doner truck. BUT REALLY? How much of a pain in the rear is this idea if I go through with it?

I have worked on, rebuilt and reinstalled old style small-blocks, but I don't know if this would be over my head.

I appretiate all comments and advice on this one.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2003, 11:27 PM
Missing You

Last photo:

To get EVERYTHING for the computer off the donor truck would likely be quiet a chore, because you'd need EVERYTHING, for the tranny and rear end. I dunno, I don't see how it would pay off in the end. Cause its not like an old skool engine swap where you only have to worry about motor mounts and mating it to the tranny, with a computer, you've got all those sensors and stuff. Not to mention whats the difference in the V6 and V8 trannies?

Head over to www.ford-trucks.com. I think they have a forum specifically for your year model truck.
Old 11-02-2003, 07:11 PM

Thanks for the information.

I was thinking of a few different things that I might do with the truck. But, I know that any one of the things that I had in mind would take a lot of time and probably money.

I also have a 302 and a 351W that I have been toying with the idea of dropping in it. Of course this would mean pretty much dumping the main computer and going back in all old school. But what the heck, the truck is paid for and out of warranty. Besides, I already have the 302 and 351W setting here to pick from.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:28 PM
Junkyard Kustoms

Last journal entry: update after a long time
Last photo:

hey

im doing this swap too i work at a ford dealership and talked to the boys her and so far ive come up with yes itll bolt up just need engine mounts, second. get the harness and pcm, and as far as diff, probly a good idea to beef it up. im using a 5.4 from a navigator, freebie!!!!
if you got the newer 4.2 from what ive heard it has the old sbf bolt pattern :O !

ive also heard that using a 5.4 injectors and a 351 pcm in a302 with a mild cam is quite a treeat!!

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.