98 camaro- Hardtop to T-top convertion. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2010, 11:00 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

98 camaro- Hardtop to T-top convertion.

I went to pick ur part and picked up a complete top including t-tops weatherstripping(goodshape) and headliner for $90. Im going to cut my hardtop off and swap them...I know its not as easy as it sounds but I know its do-able. Has anyone sucessfully completed this? My buddy is a welder and said he can take care of the welding for me..I know the front winshield is going to need to come off. Any other ideas ?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2010, 11:24 PM

ok. I started looking at some conversions a little bit...so far what ive seen is WAY differnt than what I had in mind... the top I took off at the junk yard is front the middle of the front winshield to the rear quarter pannels, So I basically cut the whole top off the car..what im seeing is guys cutting the roof to insert just the ttops....whats easier?
Old 04-23-2010, 07:12 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Unless you have a rust problem with your car, this is a mod I would not ever do. While these T-tops look neat, they have two major drawbacks (outside of the actual work).

1- They ALL leak. Either now, two weeks from now or next year - then you have rust even with any drains - which of course will fill up with crud.

2- More importantly, your car will turn into the proverbial "wet noodle" as far as strength. You will have excessive body twist and cowl shake on acceleration, braking and rough roads. It will handle ---- lousy unless you add chassis and engine compartment ties. And that's even a ho hum band aid. And before you say I'm full of it - yes, I've had two T-top cars as well as several OEM moon roof versions which my current 1 ton p/u and SUV both have, which IMO is the way to go if you need more sun.

Dave W
Old 04-23-2010, 07:49 AM

Last photo:

I have replaced a number of complete roofs over the years. My method may or may not be the correct way but it seemed to work well with good results..

First thing measure then measure again, then check those measurements . Be sure to make monument marks where the measurements were taken. You want the glass to all fit when you are finished !

I cut the A pillars at the top, utilizing the oem seam as the first cut.
BUT! I did not cut through the pillar. I only cut the spot welds on the first layer. Then 4 inches down I cut the next layer.If there were more layers then I would continue in the same manner.

For access to any inner layers you will need to make a window to access them by making a second cut on the outer layer 6 inches below your first cut on the outer layer.
Next I cut the donor roof in the same manner except working from the opposite direction. the end result will be each layer having a 4 " overlap form the next instead of being a straight shear line.

This is a slow process but I felt it gave maximum strength to the A pillar.

Last edited by Old Fool; 04-23-2010 at 08:09 AM.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:03 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

T top

I have an 84 Capri T top, It had been wrecked and came with a different front fender hung and driven with 3 bolts, and another hood. at 8o K miles, it had the typical 5.0 Fox Mustang cracks under the driver.s seat, About 15 years ago I decided to get it painted. I gutted the interior, seats, qtr panels carpets, and found a lot more cracks . I bought the subframe from Charlies mustangs and he showed me one he had up on the rack. He added more steel and made a ladder to run down each side. ,. 1 1/2 X 3/4 tubing under the rockers and cross pieces to the round kit tubes. the quarter panel skin close to the door handles had small cracks starting to split. there were cracks I found under the rear seat. welds in the engine compartment starting to fail. I did a lot of welding and brazing, added a roll bar and the cowl to spring tower kit. I made an Under the rear seat reinforcement Most T top coversions were marginal in the strength. I still wonder if the engineers ever put them on the shake rattle and roll machine for any length of time to see what happens. Some T top conversions were farmed out. I worked with Hans that started ASC, he was doing sun roof conversions after the cars left the factory, before they went to the dealer showrooms The factory probably didn' have to doa full warrenty since it was a dealer ordered conversion. The capri hooked up a lot better after all the rework, drove like a different car.

Last edited by timothale; 04-23-2010 at 09:09 AM.
Old 04-25-2010, 03:32 AM

finally my car is t-top...took me about 2 days looks good and no leaks..I ended up just cutting the top and not using the whole top i cut off the donor...I wish I had a dremel it would have made this project easier.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.