Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - '98 cherokee frnt differention popping noise
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2009, 10:46 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Yea, I found the problem. Actually, you pro's told me were the problem probably was and were to look, thanks. The popping noise is definitly coming from the passenger side front axle shaft universal joint. Like you said, its probably frozen.That was the one without a grease fiitting.

I have replaced universal joints before, however; taking the axle/shaft is the fun part in this case.How hard is it to take out and replace? I have a hanes book that gives a general procedure. I am just a little squimish about taking the differential cover off and finding the C-Clip to remove the shaft from the differential housing. Also, I should probably put a pin type grease fitting in this universal joint like on the drivers side.

Whatever you can tell me that will make the repair easier for me would be appreciated.

Thanks for helping me find the problem. I would be more than happy to start a new post instead of having this one drag on?
Robert D.

Oh yeah, I don't have an acuator anywhere on the axle housing.

Last edited by newdad1; 07-26-2009 at 10:54 AM.