Hot Rod Forum banner

98 chevy 1500 pick up - huge loss of power

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Fast 4 Door 
#1 ·
My son was driving my pickup to school and called me with this last night "The truck is shaking violently " :pain: - at first , I thought transmission but it is for certain the engine. It is backfiring and I did drive it home. No power and barely running. check engine light flashing. It feels like it jumped time. It does have 120 k miles and not many of them "easy" miles. I plow with it and have for 12 years. No visual leaks, temp normal, never any major engine work. Any thoughts on what this may be? Injectors ? timing ? plugs ? I am not very good w/ fuel injection.
It's a 98 1500 ( 305ci. ) I do not have a diagnostic tool .
Thanks -

Matt

#2 ·
Take it to your local auto parts store and have them check the code for free. It could be a mulititude of things.

Just as a wild guess, if you have a fuel pressure gauge, hook it up to the fuel line and check the pressure. If it reads lower than 60psi, it's likely your fuel pump is going bad. I had a very similar problem on my '96.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.