98 dodge intrepid major problems any dodge techs here? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine> Modern Electronic Engines
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2013, 11:58 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

98 dodge intrepid major problems any dodge techs here?

ok lobg story short past 2 weeks have been really cold so ive had a hard time starting the car in the mornings.

so far thats been my only issue until today

today im driving home from work and all the sudden the transmission downshifts and the gear selector indicator starts lighting up and flashing, 2 seconds later all my gauges went out,

tach,speedo,water temp,fuel level gauge , all the transmission indicator lights went out as well no check engine light

gauges do still light up though.

car still starts and runs normally and can be driven but transmission will not shift into over drive, normally even with the gear selector in 3rd (d) at 40mph at part throttle the trans will stll upshift on its own . it will not do this , it just never goes into over drive

u guys have any ideas on things to check

its been -10*f or less here the past few nights so im hoping maybe the really cold weather is screwing with something.

i can live without the over drive for now but i really need a fuel level gauge since even the odometer dont work without the speedo working

it will be another 4 weeks before i get my silverado 2500 back so i dont have another viechal to drive in the meantime.

i could drive my twin turbo camaro but driving that on ice/snow covered roads is not something i really want to do, besides the fact id have to reinstall the heater core/heater box , and other heating system components in the car before hand
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2013, 08:42 AM

Last photo:

anyone got any ideas on stuff i can start checking i have a few hours before i head to work, and id like to start checking some things since by the time i get out of work the sun is going down and the temps are dropping and i have to work outside in the snow
Old 01-15-2013, 04:45 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

Start by checking ALL the fuses. Under the dash and under the hood.
If they all check out...then you will need to run a scanner on it to see what codes are stored and in which modules.
For instance ...if the PCM says it has a communication problem with the transmission control module, and the Instrument panel cluster also has a similar code....then it would be wise to scrutinize the Transmission control module.
The speed sensors in the trans are important, but what it really sounds like is a fried trans module and or a fried IPC module.
These newer cars need a good battery. Jump starting them and running the battery dead, running off the little bit of charge the alternator provides for a dead battery will wreak havoc on electronic devices.
I would be shocked if a module or two wasnt fried.
All the jumping /charging /running the starter till battery is dead and such causes low voltage , voltage spikes, current surges and all kinds of stuff that cooks electronics.
Those cars are known to start hard due to bad/fouled spark plugs.
I have personnaly seen it here in the snowbelt of northeast Pennsylvania.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:46 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LATECH View Post
Start by checking ALL the fuses. Under the dash and under the hood.
If they all check out...then you will need to run a scanner on it to see what codes are stored and in which modules.
For instance ...if the PCM says it has a communication problem with the transmission control module, and the Instrument panel cluster also has a similar code....then it would be wise to scrutinize the Transmission control module.
The speed sensors in the trans are important, but what it really sounds like is a fried trans module and or a fried IPC module.
These newer cars need a good battery. Jump starting them and running the battery dead, running off the little bit of charge the alternator provides for a dead battery will wreak havoc on electronic devices.
I would be shocked if a module or two wasnt fried.
All the jumping /charging /running the starter till battery is dead and such causes low voltage , voltage spikes, current surges and all kinds of stuff that cooks electronics.
Those cars are known to start hard due to bad/fouled spark plugs.
I have personnaly seen it here in the snowbelt of northeast Pennsylvania.

the cluster fuse was poped (5A fuse) replaced it and everything worked again made it about 10 miles and it went out again , so i must have a short somewere in the cluster circut.

im trying to find some wiring diagrams so i can start tracing wires, i just dont understand why if the cluster goes out the trans wont shift right or into over drive
Old 01-15-2013, 06:57 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

IIRC the speedo processes the speed signal for the trans control module. When the speedo goes out, the trans go into "limp" mode
Old 01-15-2013, 08:52 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LATECH View Post
IIRC the speedo processes the speed signal for the trans control module. When the speedo goes out, the trans go into "limp" mode
ahh thanks im used to the gm stuff were the vss is fed into a buffer box with an output for the ecm and a seperate output for the speedo

i think i found the short in the dimmer switch , i replaced the fuse again and as i was pulling the headlight/foglight/dimmer switch assembly out of the dash it popped the fuse again, ran out of daylight but tommorow i will check for burnt wires , and use my multimetter to check for a short on the dimmer switch

i also found out the previous owner of the car had removed the cluster and pulled the check engine light bulb out ,only reason i found it is i had a few of the cluster lights out so i was checking all the bulbs to replace them
Old 01-16-2013, 04:32 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

[QUOTE=Project89;1635315]

i also found out the previous owner of the car had removed the cluster and pulled the check engine light bulb out [QUOTE]

Nice....:r olleyes:
Old 01-16-2013, 05:27 PM

Last photo:

[quote=LATECH;1635582][QUOTE=Project89;1635315]

i also found out the previous owner of the car had removed the cluster and pulled the check engine light bulb out
Quote:

Nice....:r olleyes:

it deff never ceases to amaze me what ppl will do to sell a car.
anyways the dimmer switch is the souce of my short local junkyard has one so im going to pick that up and put it in.

i pulled the battery cable and reset the ecm and ce light comes on after a few miles of driving once engine is warm so i suspect a egr code, or a knock code since the engine does ping under light and heavy acceleration.

i hate this engine gota seafoam it every 10k or so miles to knock all the carbon buildup out of the cyls to stop the pinging

it gets so bad ive even thought about rigging up a cheap water injection system to keep the carbon buildup in the cyls to a minimum

Recent Modern Electronic Engines posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.