98 f150 4.6 8.2 mpg!? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2013, 09:00 PM
www.generationhighoutput. com

Last wiki edit: Painting chrome wheels
Last journal entry: Stopping my journal entries here
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 15

[QUOTE=Fang16;1685265]"Change the upstreams"? Sorry, don't speak Ford. What are the upstreams? 02 sensors? Only has 1, right? Do chevy guys have to do all this "weird" stuff? Seems to me Fords are very touchy.[/Q

Every car has its quirks. If it was a 97 chevy you'd be going through fuel pumps, the csfi nightmare and dealing with the computers transmission-saving torque management system that likes to pull timing under heavy throttle.

If there was no carbon in the plenum don't expect it to make much smoke when seafoaming it.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2013, 06:34 AM

Last journal entry: A little cancer
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

[quote=Valkyrie5.7;1685268]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fang16 View Post
"Change the upstreams"? Sorry, don't speak Ford. What are the upstreams? 02 sensors? Only has 1, right? Do chevy guys have to do all this "weird" stuff? Seems to me Fords are very touchy.[/Q

Every car has its quirks. If it was a 97 chevy you'd be going through fuel pumps, the csfi nightmare and dealing with the computers transmission-saving torque management system that likes to pull timing under heavy throttle.

If there was no carbon in the plenum don't expect it to make much smoke when seafoaming it.
Must have been pretty clean. Didn't make any smoke at all.
Old 06-16-2013, 06:47 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Before I leave this 'going nowhere' thread, if you are using any dash board fuel mileage indicator to give you mpg that your truck has, be well aware that is called a Lie-o-meter by many on the Ford Truck Enthusiasts web site. Additionally, you will get much better information there on Ford truck operation then the myths and hearsay found here, a heavily weighted towards Chevy site: Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - Ford truck and SUV owners and enthusiasts Community And Information Source.
Old 06-16-2013, 07:17 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

Yes I meant the upstream oxygen sensors. The control the fuel trim which in turn is a fine tune to a achieve a stoichiometrically accurate mixture. 14.7 to one is ideal. A lazy 02 can stay low , reading lean, causing the mixture to go rich, wasting fuel.Plugs that are tired can cause a poor burn leaving unspent oxygen causing a mixtureto swing rich also.
Electronic Engine performance basics are the same across all makes and models. Specifics and designs vary, like fuel pressure , injector design etc.
I did see some chevy specific references, which happens here a lot, but all in all if you have any experience in electronic fuel injection, principles are relayive and one can fix anything as long as you can ID the components and you have PIDs to use for testing.
Basics like healthy spark, good fuel pressure and injector pulse, are all very basic forms of strategy that every EFI vehicle has.Also tune up parts play a very important basic role. Start with the basics.

Last edited by LATECH; 06-16-2013 at 07:48 AM.
Old 06-16-2013, 07:24 AM

Last journal entry: A little cancer
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelands child View Post
Before I leave this 'going nowhere' thread, if you are using any dash board fuel mileage indicator to give you mpg that your truck has, be well aware that is called a Lie-o-meter by many on the Ford Truck Enthusiasts web site. Additionally, you will get much better information there on Ford truck operation then the myths and hearsay found here, a heavily weighted towards Chevy site: Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - Ford truck and SUV owners and enthusiasts Community And Information Source.
Thanks for the link. I used good old math. 144.6/18.2=7.9 My god! My 500+ HP 355 gets better mileage than that going through the 1/4! lol
Old 06-23-2013, 03:20 AM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fang16 View Post
"Change the upstreams"? Sorry, don't speak Ford. What are the upstreams? 02 sensors? Only has 1, right? Do chevy guys have to do all this "weird" stuff? Seems to me Fords are very touchy.
this is a newish vehicle thing, most v engine have 4 o2 sensors,
to before the converter(upstream) and two after the converters (downstream)
I'd hope with 240k that all 4 where replaced at least once and the up stream should be on it's 3rd set (100k miles each time )
first thing I'd do, as you've not run it much till now. is
1) turn the key on "run" but not start it, does the orangey/yellow check engine light come on?? many people before they sell remove that bulb.
if it works move to the next.
2) either get a kit to clean your injectors or have it done. this requires the fuel pump to be disabled and they run the engine off the cleaner..
3) replace the upstream o2 senders with GOOD ones.. you get what you pay for here.
4) tune up, plugs (good ones) wires ext. fuelfilter/air filter,by now a few coils on plugs should be all but dead.. test them all one by one for good spark. if you have a buddy with alldata or hit up that ford board o how to test them..

my 4x2 97 shortbox (think light'n without the blower) 5.4 got 17 highway and 14 town with my lead foot. but it was new

you also said it sat unused for a little bit. make sure the brakes are not dragging.
wifes sport trac mpg dropped like a rock when a front hub/bearing was going freewheeled clod but once warm /hot it didn't like turning

the plugs might be might old as ford in those years had sparkplug rockets that liked to take off and take threads with them..
be ready to have to heli coil or thread cert plug holes in heads if alum.

good luck.
me gut says plugs are old because of fear of taking threads, coils are weak ,injectors need to be cleaned and o2 sensors are all but dead.
but first check the light on the dash works,
remember it's got 240k on it. it's going to need parts..

5)
Old 06-24-2013, 07:50 AM

Last photo:

Dumb question; are you sure your odometer is reading properly? If you change the height of your tire or regear the axle and dont compensate, it will be off. This would throw off your mileage calculations to some degree. Maybe you're fuel economy isn't as bad as you think it is if this was the case. I doubt this would be the sole cause of the issue however.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.