Hot Rod Forum banner

98 mountaineer 5.0 engine

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  woodz428 
#1 ·
Hey guys I found one of these at the junk yard today, and I was wundering if if it will be worth th trouble to pull??
Wouldn't this have the GT40P heads?? Will these work on the older 302's like my 82 mustang??

If its any help I have the VIN, its 4m2zu55p3wuj35340... He's gonna sell it to me for 90 bucks if I pull it and I plan on gettin it tommorrow so any info as quick as possible would be extremely helpfull to me...Thanks guys

#2 ·
It most likely has the gt40p heads but you would have to look to be sure. It will bolt right in to your 82 mustang. the only thing is it has a 50oz crank and front cover on it will your mustang is a 28oz. if you have your 28oz crank machined to fit the one piece rear seal it will use all the front cover components from your mustang with the modern roller block.

#3 ·
REAR END question in the wrong place, but no ones home in the tranny room

I know this is kinda the wrong place to be askin this but It seems to take forever to get a responce on the tranny and rear end room....

Does anyone know i those mountaineer's have Dana rear ends or ford 8.8's, and would it have a posi?? Do most of the expoder's have 8.8's or dana's and are most posi/limited slip atleast??

New dodge ram trucks. 8.75" are most posi or not

71 t-bird WAR case 9" ford rear..... any way to tell if this is trac lock w/o opening it???

#4 ·
The GT40P heads will bolt on, you will need different headers to fit those heads though. As far as the 28 and 50 oz weight, that won't make a difference as long as you aren't switching rotating parts around.

The Mountaineer should have the 8.8 with posi, and disc brakes should help out as well.

Sorry I can't help with the new Dodge or the T-Bird rear though.

#5 ·
As pointed out the engine should drop in. The weight difference is irrelevant if you keep the flywheel and balancer with the engine...not sure what the front cover has to do with the weight difference, it is unaffected The later front covers use a small waterpump,but again, if you are keeping the engine intact it is only relevant when you order a replacement pump. The headers, as commented on, have a unique pattern and need to be for GT-P heads.
The only rearend comment is regarding the 'bird, I just answered on the other thread...it's VERY doubtful that is a WAR case, more likely a 9 3/8", and not a posi from your description in that thread...go back and read it.

#7 ·
1969NovaSS said:
The front cover is relevent because the newer motor has no provision for a mech. fuel pump and the timing tabs are in diff locations. Also if he trys to use his flywheel or flexplate it will vibrate real bad.
Apparently you haven't heard of an electric fuel pump. You apparently didn't read my post accurately eithere. I will review for you ...I said IF the engine is kept intact( I mentioned specificly the flywheel and balancer) there would be NO problems and there won't. That still doesn't tie in with the front cover and balance.Many 50 oz. balanced engines used the earlier front cover that still had the pump boss, some still have the eccentric on the cam. So, for your clarification...IF he wants to run a carb..he CAN without altering anything...just use an electric fuel pump..much simpler than swapping all the crap just to run a mechanical pump. Reading some of the post here today, I swear the Holidays bring every ****ing moron out that has a day off from school.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.