98 ranger / 5R55E gear ratio error codes - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2006, 07:16 AM
when will it rain???

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

98 ranger / 5R55E gear ratio error codes

we have this 98 ranger in the shop, that came in with a broken reverse band. the scan results from the checkout showed it had a couple gear ratio error codes stored in memory. the trans got built, and it still had the codes return... now, weve tried several things inside the trans, (a fix from a tsb, and another valve body, and re-going through the unit) without any luck., while checking the data on a road test, we noticed that from the output speed to the v.s.s., there is roughly a 4 mph difference between the 2... and the only thing weve noticed is that the tires dont match what the door tag says its supposed to have.. (taller than what it came with)
could this be the main problem like i think it is? or is there somethng else? it has no abs, so i was able to rule out abs being any or all of the cause...
crosley, chazmac, please help if u can, if im missing any info, let me know... ill fill in what i can... thx

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2006, 09:56 PM

Last photo:

98 ranger

5r55e tranny what are the codes,po744? 733 741 does it rev up shifting. are you using snap on scanner? most common thing that cause shift codes are solenoids and pressure control solenoid. I keep a data base of troubles I have had and fixes also been building mine since 89 books only give you some direction.
Old 05-26-2006, 07:27 AM
when will it rain???

Last photo:

i never saw the codes myself, just was told they were gear ratio error codes... were using the old red brick with the updated cartidges, and internally, and electrically everything is good (even sent it to a electric shop because the boss thought it might have been electrical after we had the unit out the second time)...
overall, my boss didnt want to listen, gave up on it, and refunded the peoples money back...
1 question though, is it possible for the truck to have the speedo calibrated? reason i ask, is because between what the scanner said it was reading for speed was 4-6 mph difference than the speedo. ( faster) since i was doing some sniffing around on a ambulance with a e4od, i stumbled across a page that mentioned a recalabrational computer for the speedo. i know its not a e4od, but with the 5r55e having basically the same sensors and setup to a degree, is it possible they put something like in the ranger? just curious because, thats the only thing that was never addressed... and yes, my boss is an idiot...
Old 05-26-2006, 10:16 PM

Last photo:

5r55e

its not uncommon for the dash speed to read different from scanner speed.I use shaffer shifter to pin point alot most always its the tranny not the computer. giving the customer the money back sometime is better than waiting to see the judge in court.
Old 05-27-2006, 07:43 AM
when will it rain???

Last photo:

if so, then how come they r the same when the wheels r off the ground? and what kind of calibration is there in the ecm to adjust for when people put different size tires than what the vehicle came with?

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.