Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 98 sebring
Thread: 98 sebring
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2012, 08:50 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by LATECH View Post
Looks like 1998 cirrus , stratus and sebring only. Must be same V 6 engine as yours also. Check 8th digit in VIN number on yours and be sure it is the same on your donor car.
Just went thru one of these with my neighbor. His wife hit something in the road that punctured the oil pan. She drove it till it welded solid.

98 convertable. He ordered a used engine for it from a large auto parts/repair shop. Their computer interchange says same VIN.

They install engine. Harness is different. Won't start. They send it to a Chrysler dealer. After a week dealer says it will never run. Wrong sensors/positions front and rear of engine..

Original installers now have to remove engine. Had scrapped the core. Can't find correct replacement. It seems not only must the VIN be correct. The manufacture date and positioning of the engine sensors and relay boxes on the body have to be the same.

After three months and a lot of gnashing of teeth. I was given the task of getting the thing running. Found a correct year four door sedan engine, same VIN code. almost same relays. Swapped the front cover with another purchased used one with correct sensor position. Changed the rear sensor and modified flexplate to work.

Fired it up. Everything works. Happy (but broke!) lady drives off? I hate working on Chryslers!!! Even tho I own Four of them..