Hot Rod Forum banner

98 V6 S10 #3 Spark Plug Removal

15K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  COUGARPOWER 
#1 ·
hi i have a 98 chevy s10 with a 4.3 V6 and i am having trouble on the #3 spark plug and it is very hard to remove because of the steering coulm its right in the way. i am working from the wheel well because i find that the easiest way but #3 is extremly hard i spent 3 hours on it and did not do a thing, can somebody please help me out i really want to finish the job.
any help is much appriciated. thank you guys alot

#3 ·
Generally on these types S10's (Blazers, pick-ups) with the 4.3 I use a basic Craftsman spark plug socket and a 19mm wrench which fits on the top of the socket. It's not the fastest but it works. And yes I remove the left front tire and get it through the wheel well while on a lift or just with the left side up on a jack stand if no lift is available. You got that part right. :thumbup:

Attachments

#4 ·
Well I know it's been a bit but I figured I'd post this anyway. I noticed one of the guys I work with today doing a tune-up on a 4.3 Blazer. I figured I'd ask him how he prefers to tackle that nasty spark plug. He said he uses the same Craftsman spark plug socket I use 'cause it's shorter than his Snap-On spark plug socket, a wobble extension, and a 19mm crowfoot socket like the one I photographed. I haven't tried this method yet but I will next time I get one of those. :mwink:

Attachments

#6 ·
Doc here, :pimp:

There is a "Shade Tree" method I use on Corvettes when replacing the Dreaded left side plugs...If the space "will Almost fit" between the Frame/steering, but not quite, with a standard plug wrench and ratchet..AND I don't have enough room for a LONG 5/8 box wrench from the bottom..

I get a pair of needle nosed vise grips, and snap the porcelain tip flush with the metal plug body..you should be able to get either a standard plug wrench or a standard 5/8 socket to fit then.

Just be SURE it will fit BEFORE you snap the plug..or you'll have a bigger problem than you had.. :pain:

I know, Shade Tree..but it does work.

Doc :pimp:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.