Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 99 Chevy Silverado- how to save weight?
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2005, 10:49 PM
I am the Antirice

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Damn man, dont go off in a rant like that, we understand the power to weight ratio, brian was just trying to tell you the fiberglass route isnt going to help much, and he's right. Just like he said, the sheetmetal on those trucks and are flimsy as hell, find one and pick it up, it's not like old school heavy metal. This stuff is meant to be painted and be cosmetic, no structure whatsoever really. And as much as you say theres good glass out there, it takes a lot of work to get it right, even the best of them, and with filler, you're probably going to go over the origonal weight of the truck, and if not, tops will all the panels, you might of shaved off 10 lbs. Sure, they put glass on old stuff to make it light, but like I said, that was when sheetmetal was heavy, and made to be repairable, not replacable.

And my personall opinion is that, and has always been that loosing weight is the easy way out. Why loose weight when you can just make more power.

Dont forget chassis work too.

This thread will probably do better somewhere else then body.