Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 99 Chevy Silverado- how to save weight?
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2005, 09:56 PM
analyst

Last journal entry: Dart for sale
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

One of my joys in hotrodding is spending time with my friends and helping them with their projects... they run the whole gamut... dedicated race cars
drag, nasa, porshe club of america, street rods, 50's cadillacs, model T's
But I usually listen to what they are trying to do and then use my resources to locate or build what they need....
We are on post, what 13?, and instead of the help I need coming here in the form of useable information I'm just getting .... what I'd do... my thread title was specific to saving weight...did that to attract those who, like me,
see that as smart way to go.... this is the norm, actually, at the racetrack-so I gotta say I find it pretty amazing to find such little interest or infomation here... I know how hard and how much money it takes to gain horsepower..
especially when you are trying to do it in a dual purpose machine with factory small block, keeping it emissions legal, and stock appearing...
75 to 90 horsepower is alot... and the shedding of weight is almost always
more cost effective than hard parts purchase...I'm going that way.. period..
Found 600 lbs to ditch on my Dart.... I'll find 500 to 600 fot the Shortwide
Want to see what a 2600 lb Dart looks like???
go to
http://photobucket.com/albums/a207/1974dart

Fairly "sleeperized" and not cut up... this pic is before the bumper change
No one looks at my Dart and sees 2600 lbs and 500 horses... they find out
when I pull the cable and the exhaust note changes from turbos to open headers and the White and Light pulls away fast...hard to see the quality of the paint on the hood when you are looking at the rear all the time.
Mustangs, Camaro, Vettes, Ricers.... most don't touch my Dart's power to weight ratio...nor their drivers my track knowledge..can you say
"spank-a-riffic".
The LS1 is one of chevrolets best of all time.... deserves to go into
as light a chassis as possible... that's what I'm doing here..
Found Carbon Fiber hoods on web but best price so far is $500... would like to see if I can do better and need to know the stock weight of Chevy steel
hood so real gains will be known...