99 Dodge truck shift problem - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2010, 08:54 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

99 Dodge truck shift problem

A couple of weeks ago I bought a Dodge 1500 truck that has developed a few problems that I am trying to solve. After repairing an idle problem, AC, butchered dash wiring and fixing a bad vibration (someone had installed a wrong U-joint that was too small! ) I now have a transmission that will not shift. Everything seemed fine and I had been driving the truck everyday but suddenly without any hint that anything was wrong I pulled out from a gas station and the darn thing will only shift out of low and no higher. If I floor the gas it will drop back to low (it feels as if it is in low range even before it drops back and I was surprised it had upshifted at all) and it will smoke the tires so it is not slipping. From a stop it goes right into gear just fine and the truck will start out as if nothing is wrong, no slippage or anything abnormal until it is time to shift into high which it simply will not even try to do. Any ideas on where to start trying to troubleshoot this problem? I would really like to fix this myself rather than take it to a shop but I would be unable to remove the transmission if that is required.

This is my first Dodge I have ever owned and these problems are no reflection on Dodge quality, this truck was in need of some TLC after years of neglect.

Advertisement

Last edited by oldred; 06-29-2010 at 08:59 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2010, 09:58 AM
WHO WHAT ME WAIT I DON'T KNOW.

Last journal entry: Door skins removed
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldred
A couple of weeks ago I bought a Dodge 1500 truck that has developed a few problems that I am trying to solve. After repairing an idle problem, AC, butchered dash wiring and fixing a bad vibration (someone had installed a wrong U-joint that was too small! ) I now have a transmission that will not shift. Everything seemed fine and I had been driving the truck everyday but suddenly without any hint that anything was wrong I pulled out from a gas station and the darn thing will only shift out of low and no higher. If I floor the gas it will drop back to low (it feels as if it is in low range even before it drops back and I was surprised it had upshifted at all) and it will smoke the tires so it is not slipping. From a stop it goes right into gear just fine and the truck will start out as if nothing is wrong, no slippage or anything abnormal until it is time to shift into high which it simply will not even try to do. Any ideas on where to start trying to troubleshoot this problem? I would really like to fix this myself rather than take it to a shop but I would be unable to remove the transmission if that is required.

This is my first Dodge I have ever owned and these problems are no reflection on Dodge quality, this truck was in need of some TLC after years of neglect.
what the trany module 47rh/re...46rh/re...45rfe eng size 4X4 2WD??
Old 06-29-2010, 10:04 AM

Last photo:

!999 1500, 360 engine, 4X4, not sure which transmission.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:47 AM

Last journal entry: Some More Roll Cage Fabrication
Last photo:

Sounds like 2nd band problem. Very common issue. I just rebuilt my transmission after135000 miles. This was the only problem; the rest of components were satisfactory. These transmissions required regular service and adjustment of both bands. I've seen the anchors fall out from excessive wear and no adjustment for the wear. I probably would've gotten 175 K if I had adjusted them more than once.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:47 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
what's your vin?
Old 06-29-2010, 10:58 AM
when will it rain???

Last photo:

Quote:
it will have a 46RE trans, and if it has 1-2 and 2-3, but no o.d. odds are that its going to be the speed sensor located on the drivers side of the case behind the pan.
the other possibilities are that the harness where it plugs into the trans (8 pin connector) could be wet from fluid getting through and shorting out the pins, or you could have a bad 3-4 solenoid.
a good scan tool with a live datastream can help you find and fix the current problem that you currently have with the trans. it can show whether or not that the sensor is getting signal, or if the solenoid is working.
the speed sensor can easliy be replaced by anyone pretty much, but if it is the solenoid, i highly reccomend that you take it to a competent trans shop as the valve body will have to come down and the internal harness (which has the 3-4 shift solenoid and the tcc solenoid) will have to be replaced.
mind you, this is all IF theres nothing physically wrong with the o.d. section, or the trans itsself.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:20 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnsmith10
it will have a 46RE trans, and if it has 1-2 and 2-3, but no o.d. odds are that its going to be the speed sensor located on the drivers side of the case behind the pan.
the other possibilities are that the harness where it plugs into the trans (8 pin connector) could be wet from fluid getting through and shorting out the pins, or you could have a bad 3-4 solenoid.
a good scan tool with a live datastream can help you find and fix the current problem that you currently have with the trans. it can show whether or not that the sensor is getting signal, or if the solenoid is working.
the speed sensor can easliy be replaced by anyone pretty much, but if it is the solenoid, i highly reccomend that you take it to a competent trans shop as the valve body will have to come down and the internal harness (which has the 3-4 shift solenoid and the tcc solenoid) will have to be replaced.
mind you, this is all IF theres nothing physically wrong with the o.d. section, or the trans itsself.
i agree could be the speed sensor or tvc not hooked up or broke..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8001ab90.gif
Views:	859
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	46489  
Old 06-29-2010, 02:58 PM

Last photo:

The TVC turned out to be OK but I found a vacuum line loose that goes back to the transmission, unfortunately this goes to the 4X4 selector and has nothing to do with the problem. Now I just noticed something else, after hooking up the vacuum line and test driving it I noticed the speedometer now is also dead. Being concerned with the shifting problem I may not have noticed that prior or it could be that problem just started, most likely I just didn't notice when the transmission first acted up. I am going to check the speed sensor wiring right now, any tips on checking this or the sensor itself?
Old 06-30-2010, 05:30 AM
when will it rain???

Last photo:

Quote:
The TVC turned out to be OK but I found a vacuum line loose that goes back to the transmission, unfortunately this goes to the 4X4 selector and has nothing to do with the problem. Now I just noticed something else, after hooking up the vacuum line and test driving it I noticed the speedometer now is also dead. Being concerned with the shifting problem I may not have noticed that prior or it could be that problem just started, most likely I just didn't notice when the transmission first acted up. I am going to check the speed sensor wiring right now, any tips on checking this or the sensor itself?
ok, well 1st off, its not going to be cable related as o.d. on this trans is completely electronic controlled. the tv is for 1st through 3rd gears like the old 727.
as far as loosing the speedo, that should set a p0500 code in the ecm or p0520 in the tcm. or a 2 digit code for the rear abs. and should have a CEL on. this trans WILL work without the speedo operational. the v.s.s. is located in the rear diff.
as far as the speed sensor for o.d., it is a simple hall effect sensor and can be checked with a DVOM on ohms. run it over a piece of metal back and forth and see if the ohms change. also, make sure its not dropping out on signal at the same time (ohms will go real high like an open circuit), because that could be where the problem lies.
one last thing, make sure the o.d. cancellation button is operational as well, if theres a problem with the switch, such as a short between the wires, it also can cause no o.d. so cycle the switch and make sure its working. (o.d. off light will show in PRNDL display or close to it. gl
Old 06-30-2010, 08:14 PM

Last photo:

First let me thank everyone for their help, I am making some progress and have it shifting smoothly now but I think a trip to the rebuild shop is probably still going to be in the very near future. Turns out the speed sensor in the transmission, the one on the drivers side back of the oil pan, was bad when I checked with a DVOM so I replaced it and the transmission started working just fine but the speedometer still will not work now. An even bigger concern however is that the senor magnet had collected a huge amount of metal cuttings so I think that even if it seems ok for now trouble is not far away unfortunately. I am a bit puzzled at how the shift problem and the speedometer problem occurred at the same time and the sensor replacement fixed the shift problem but not the speedometer? Next step tomorrow is going to be to check the sensor on the differential and if it too is bad then something really is amiss and I may have to dig deeper into the wiring although it looks to be very clean and undamaged. Anyway thanks to everyone for your help and I feel as if I am getting somewhere with this, it's been a learning experience and I am trying my best to get a feel for the system and how it works but that tranny rebuild that I am sure is coming will have to go to one of the local shops.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:47 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

on the RE model trans there is a governor pressure control solenoid and a pressure sensor of the gov presuure.. if the computer has no input (faulty VSS) on vehicle speed , the computer will be lost to alter governor pressure to control shifts.

Dodge did some strange stuff on these units over the years... some have no VSS type sensor in the over drive section of the trans. Some have 1 sensor location , some trans have 2 locations in the tail section of the trans.

There is a aftermarket billet piece for governor pressure control , it works very nice on 48RE type diesel trans if you ever get one
Old 06-30-2010, 11:56 PM

Last photo:

Its funny, well not really But anyways... The Mopar RWD transmission, all from 42RE to 48RE get commanded governor pressure from the OSS(output Shaft Speed sensor). But when this sensor fails, the OSS that is... At about 15MPH, the TCM side will use the VSS (Or RAB sensor) for commanded governor pressure. (usually some bucking feeling associated shifting with this transition from OSS to VSS timing also). You can watch this on scanner data too

It seems, the OSS has been out for some time so the VSS was used by trans control logic. Till, the VSS went out, hence, now the lost speedometer, and no upshift.

Some fur on the magnet is normal. Chunks are not.

These are pulse generators, not even close to hall-effect... 2 wire= generator, 3 wire= hall effect big price difference.

This failure would be so easy to see on some scan data, there is not even a reason to guess or shot gun it. Its when you get the stuck gov solenoids from TCC lining, on the gas motors, mainly. That will mess with you. Fun fun

Last edited by Rexnfx; 07-01-2010 at 12:42 AM.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.