Hot Rod Forum banner

99 f150 door locks

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  mxpmxp 
#1 ·
I have a 1999 f-150. Both driver and passanger power door locks have stopped working using the button and the keyless entry. The locks will seem to try and actuate but rearly fully actuate. I have replaced all three lock relays and the problem still exists. I have considered changing the lock actuaters in each door. However it seems odd that both would have started acting up at the exact same time. Does anyone have any suggestions?

#2 ·
The actuators usually go out completely if they are not working properly. Your linkage and lock mechanism may need luricating. If you are in a high humidity region, it will do wonders on that stuff. Use lithium grease to lubricate. If that doesn't help the problem, it is beyond my knowledge. As long as you can hear the actuators trying to work, they should be working properly. :D

#4 ·
Most Ford actuators have a rubber boot around the actuator shaft. That boot gets soaked with oil from the grease put on the shaft at the factory and starts to break down and gets clogged up in the shaft. Pull the door panel and if the boot is denigrating remove it and lube the shaft with wd40. You may want to disconnect the actuator shaft from the lock mechanism and then operate the lock button to see whether it is a actuator problem or a lock mechanism problem, but while your in there lube the latch anyway. If you remove the actuator from the latch you will possibly break the plastic retainer clip and will need to get a new one at the dealer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.