Hot Rod Forum banner

99 gmc suburban gas gauge

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  75gmck25 
#1 ·
i have a 99 suburban the the gas gauge fluttered when i bought it now it just bounces from e to f then half to f im going nuts can any one tell me what is wrong

#3 ·
If the gauge is waggin like the dogs tail at dinnertime, then your trouble is the cluster.
The sender is working as the fuel sloshing is moving the float around rapidly, like a bouy on the open sea.
The cluster has a "Damper" circuit built in, that slows down the reaction of the gauge in relation to the movement of the sending unit float, to control just exactly what you are describing is happening on the dash.
Also a bad sender will turn on the check engine light as fuel levels are monitored as part of the evaporative system, and an open circuit will set a P0463 and turn on the Check engine light.

#5 ·
From what I recall, that vintage of GM trucks had a lot of problems with the in-tank fuel gauge sending units. One suggested cause was that owners let them get low on gas too often and the lack of fuel in the tank let the pump and sending unit assembly get too hot (its cooled by fuel immersion).

You may have to replace both the sending unit and the pump, since they are built as a single assembly. The high cost of replacement was also a common complaint from owners, since most shops charge quite a bit of labor for the job.

Bruce

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.