Hot Rod Forum banner

99 ranger tranny rebuild - what special tools are needed?

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  pricesgarages 
#1 ·
Hello everyone

Got a 99 Ranger (4.0 4x4) that lost reverse. Absolutely no reverse whatsoever. From all preliminary diagnosis it seems the band failed inside the tranny. Apparently common problem for these 4r44/55e trannys from my research so far. So... a tear down and rebuild is in order.

I have rebuilt a few trannys (all of them actually GM trans'... i am GM tech), installed reprogramming kits and shift kits, all without a problem so far. I have a ton of books on 700r4/4l60s, th 350s, 400s etc... but no info so far on a ford trans. Anyboy have any recommendations on a good book for rebuilding one of these bad boys? Most importantly, any special tools these trannys require? As a side note, any of you guys have any experience with these units?

Thanks

#2 · (Edited)
The only specialty tool you will need is the pump alignment kit,which consists of a plastic outer ring,and a plastic hub that re-inacts a converter hub.The clutch drums come apart like a 400,which you are familier with allready.I use my seal puller to remove the center support.You will see what I'm talking about when you get to that point in the disassembly.Everything else,you have in your toolbox....you can get the pump kit[and everything else you need] direct from Transtar in Bedford....alignment kit PN is T-0168K....upon reassembly,you will need to find a plastic sleeve that compresses the new rubber center support rings. They come installed on new replacement supports.I haven't seen them for sale anywhere else. A trans shop,or Cleveland transmission,will prob have one laying around to sell or give you.

#3 ·
Get bandaids .... the edges of that narrow deep case can be sharp and trim up your arm skin.

Check the servo pin bores in the side of the case, they like to wear out badly sometimes

#4 ·
99 should be a 5455 e with a 4.0 there not a bad unit to build make sure you replace the servos on the side of the case i aways use the zc cover and pistons on both the center support is known for wear use a superior shift kit do not use a transgo kit in this unit get a large ratio pressure regulator valve they make thicker steel clutch plates to get the clearances tighter becareful cleaning the valve body it has many clips that will fall out also use a a external trans cooler

#5 ·
Thanks for the input fellas. However - your help causes more questions:
-any rebuild kit better than the next? i can easily get get my hands on a pro-king kit... but through my work i can only get a kit for a 2wd model... since i have no book or manual abut the tranny ... any input?
-transgo is a no-go in this case? ive used trans go kits before... pretty impressed with their stuff. Liked what it did in my Z28 and other various projects i stuffed their kits in.
-again... literature on the matter? any manuals better than others?

Thaks a bunch again.

#6 ·
i mainly use transgo kits in the shop but there 4r55/5455 kit is pretty crappy compaired to the superior kit for this unit
the pro king kits are not bad auctually a reboxed transtar kit they dont come with thicker steels to set clearance
i use buy kits directly from dacco or transtar u can get a atsg book pretty resonable it would be usefull

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.