99 S10 Positive Batt. Cable install - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2006, 09:22 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

99 S10 Positive Batt. Cable install

Need to replace the positive battery cable assymbly (not simple like my hot rod) in my 99 S10 6 cyl/auto. Two of the connections are straight forward, but it looks like I may have to drop the starter to access the third connection. Anyone been here? Any tips?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to jj3 For This Useful Post:
dangonza (02-28-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2006, 04:16 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Doc here ,

Have not done a 99 S~10 truck..

So it does not run straight from the battery to the big bolt on the starter?

Traditionally, you just remove the cable from the battery, Unbolt it from the solenoid, replace the cable and reverse the proceedure...does yours differ?

Doc
Old 09-01-2006, 05:32 PM

Thanks for the reply, Doc. If only it was that simple. This cable is actually an assembly. There are two wires in a molded terminal that connect to the positive battery post. One of the wires heads into the engine compartment and appears to connect to the starter. The other goes to a connection block mounted on the body panel under the battery tray. The block has what looks like a buss fuss with lugs on each end. The cable from the battery connects to one lug. This part of the cable has a third wire that connects to the alternator. the wire on the other side of the block heads to parts unknown. So the battery cable is actually a set of three wires that are attached in two places. I knew I was in trouble when the local parts house guys sighed when I told them what I was looking for and pointed me to the dealer to get the part ($80.00 for a battery cable). I understand all the connections, my problem is that I can't get to (even see) the area on the starter where the cable connects. Just wondered if I'm opening a worm can by going after removal of the starter. Might be as easy as a couple of bolts, drop it out, replace the cable, and hang it back. Just a bit jumpy about it, and was looking for feedback from another lucky S10 owner before I open the worm can. Thanks again. JJ
Old 09-01-2006, 11:19 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Doc Here,

Well, I pulled the schematic for your truck..(there are a ton of them..) and saw no magic going on different from a NORMAL battery Cable replacement..THIS is not to say there isn't...they just don't show it..

My advice, go ahead and replace the cable, start at the starter, then go to the secondary wire (s) and crimp them on, then continue until you end up at the battery..just take your time and do one wire at a time..

I DO NOT suggest you pull the starter...you may end up with shim or alignment issues when you go to reassemble it..and it sounds like you may be a novice mechanic..something like that can be challenging.

If for any reason, you do not feel good about replacing the cable, then I advise taking it to a GOOD electrical shop for the job.

Happy & Safe Labor Day!
Doc
Old 09-02-2006, 11:11 AM

Doc, Thanks for the feedback. Problem is that there is no way to get to the cable connecter on the starter. It's at the top, and the starter is wedged in between the block and frame. I can barely get my fingers up to feel the connection from underneath. No way to access from above. Can't even see it.
No crimping involved. The wires in the OEM assembly that I had to get from the dealer are all pre connected in molded insulated terminations at the battery and fuse block termination points. Easy to connect to the battery and the fuse block points, but it's just accessing the battery connection that's the show stopper. Thanks again, and a safe and happy holiday to you. JJ
Old 09-02-2006, 01:27 PM
Home School Valedictorian

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

It may be possible to access the connection from inside of the right front wheel well, there should be a rubber flap, may be able to it from there.
Old 09-03-2006, 11:53 AM

Thanks for the reply, 1ownerT. I got so far into the forest with this, I missed the tree. Didn't even notice the flap in the wheel well. Checked it out, and I can at least see the cable connection on the starter. Haven't had time to get the wheel off and try to reach the connection, but it looks like I've got a chance to get at it now.
Thanks for the tip. I'll let you know how it works out.
JJ
Old 09-03-2006, 04:38 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Doc here,

Now , there is a guy that sounds like he owns a S10...

AND Don't forget to Disconnect the BATTERY first! (you'd be surprised how many forget until the ratchet finds ground.. )

Good luck!

Happy & Safe Labor Day!

Doc

Last edited by docvette; 09-03-2006 at 04:40 PM. Reason: I before E..Except after a 12 pack..

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.