9in rearend with 28 spline - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2011, 09:43 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

9in rearend with 28 spline

is it possible to reuse the axle housing from a 28 spline and change it to 31 spline or is this a dumb question? its going to be in a 49 f1 with a 400m and a c6 im planning on building. would the 28s be good enough? any advice would be great thanks.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2011, 10:02 PM

Last photo:

for the street 28's will be fine I ran one in my 53 henryj blown smallblk drag car for sometime .
Old 07-26-2011, 10:04 PM
bentwings

Last photo:

Yes you can use the same housing.....but
If your plan is to make a nice streetrod and just enjoy toolling around the 28 sp will hold up. However if you put some big tires on and start hotrodding and doing big burnouts and going to the track you will have broken parts.

Aftermarket 31 sp axels, bearings and retainers are about $400 unless you get very lucky and find a stock set exactly the right length. You also will need to change the diff side gears to 31 sp. These can be hard to come by. I'm not even sure if the dealer stocks these anymore. You may be able to get them from a diff shop. Rear Gears, Currie, Moser and a few others. I don't know the cost but figure $100 at least.

You could get a whole 31 sp carrier and just swap ring and pinion if you have a ration you like and aftermarket axels. You can get various limited slip or lockers for $400-$600 plus bearings.

Not at all cheap. The best bet would to keep shopping for a suitable 31 sp assembly.
Old 07-27-2011, 06:06 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

I don't have a problem with 28 spline axles for my car, and with reasonable horsepower and driving, expect those axles to last for as long as I drive the car. While I don't have any idea what the width of a '49 F1 rear end would be, suspect that you would be limited to a narrow OEM housing and to early model Ford products, i.e. '57-'59 and possibly a few Mustangs. In that case you get into new axles then interesting rear brake combinations. In that case, you might be better ordering an entire assembly, built to order from an outside supplier other then a Ford product. Here's my 'favorite' site on that discussion.

Dave W
Old 07-27-2011, 09:45 AM
Differential/Driveline

Last photo:

Side gear is part#C80Z4236A. If you need a complete spider gear kit any of the Diff parts supplier's have those. If you have a original 28 spline carrier you may have to Bore out the hole so the axle will slide thru.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.