AAARRGGGHHH!!!!!! Snowball effect!! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2004, 04:28 AM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

AAARRGGGHHH!!!!!! Snowball effect!!

As you know I had a minor fender bender last week. $2300 damage. So I order the new parts myself. No biggy. Well now is the opportune tiome to get the chips touched up in the running boards. OK fine!! Then there is the area in front of the bed that had some over-spray when it was clear coated previously. Fine. I'll pull the bed and pull the found effects off. Might as well look under the cab extender. FINE. We'll touch it up also. Well if I am going to do that I might as well pull the front visor off. WTF. Okay!!!! Well we just might as well paint the whole darn truck and get it over with. I now have parts scattered all over the garage. Oh, BTW, I had a bolt stripped in the cab visor, so now we have to pull the headlining AND sunroof just to weld that up. It seems like know matter how simple something starts out it snowballs into a huge mess. Sorry...just had to vent. I'll have some pics later.

Kevin

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2004, 08:06 PM

Last journal entry: better comparison before and after shots
Last photo:

if'n it ain't one thing, it's a hunnerd dang others.

but think of how nice the new paint is gonna look. i think you might as well throw some o' that there kolor changing stuff on it. wth? right? i mean, it's only your money.
Old 03-13-2004, 08:58 PM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

I had bought a used tailgate last year that had the handle moved to the inside. I didn't look too bad until I started on it. Spent all day straightening it out to get it primed. Also had to do work on the front air dam. Got that taken care of and primed. Will probably start wet sanding the truck out tomorrow then start on all of the other pieces. It seems like I have a ton of other parts. The ground effect had a trim piece that was glued to the bottom edges to prevent chips. I pulled that off and it has the stickiest glue that I had ever seen on it. Kind of a cross between rubber cement and windshield sealer. I tried to clean it off with lacquer thinner and it only made it stickier. Alcohol would not cut it and ended up using WD40. Loosened right up and wiped right off with a little effort. So I have the 4 ground effects, windshield visor, cab extender, and rear spoiler to sand down seperate. Gonna have quite a few hours in sanding but thankfully no other body work other than sanding and assembly. One thing I have to do is find a color very similiar so I do not have to paint the door jambs. I am also positive that when it was previously painted the clearcoat was tinted because everytruck I have seen is about one shade lighter. It's kind of odd in the way it looks. When I pulled the door panels one time the oversprayed areas are a little lighter. I looked at some paint chips the other day and can't find the color of my truck yet it has the original paint. That's what leads me to believe the clearcoat was tinted to make it somewhat darker. That combined with the fact that the tailights were cleared over with the truck and they have sort of a smoke tint to them. The guy that originally painted it was a body shop manager but just can't seem to remember how he did it or what the paint codes were. I'm going to keep basically the same paint scheme except change the red outlines somewhat and do away with a green stripe that the previous owner had added. UNLESS...someone has a better idea that sound different. I know I want to keep the purple just because it is different and it does catch the eye. BTW anyone know how a sunroof removes? Besides a hammer and a crowbar!!!

Old 03-14-2004, 08:18 AM

Kevin, man I feel for you but isn't that always the way it goes? Does your jobber have a computer system were they can scan a piece and mix it to match? Yes some clear swill have an effect on color, I did a Taurus a few weeks ago and cleared past where I blended the color and it darkened the original paint. Sweet truck and go ahead and vent, we've all been through it at one time or another. No I don't have any ideas on getting out the sunroof but have fun. Goat
Old 03-14-2004, 11:25 AM
British Style with USA Muscle

Last photo:

Man Kevin I know that story, I'm in the middle of one now. You have my sympathies Keep us posted on the progress.

Regards
Mark

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.